Mixed it up a little today with good results...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartlawnmain, May 17, 2004.

1. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

I have a customer in an upscale neighborhood whose sprinkler heads sometimes don't retract so I always have to do a walk through of the yard before I mow. So, I figured if i gotta' walk it first, I may as well make it productive. I went ahead and did all my trimming as I was doing the walk through and most of my edging with the string trimmer. This saved me some time but I also noticed that I usually have to go back after edging the pine needled beds and blow some straw back into the beds. Doing it this way, the straw that blew out into the yard, I just shredded with the mower. I was surprised at how much time I actually saved and it looked better, too. Or maybe I just thought it did.

2. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I always trim first for two reasons.
    #1 I go in a direction so that all the clippings are blown back into the yard. When the mower comes by, it bags or mulches the tall clippings. It makes the finished product look much better.
    #2 I can trim around all obstacles and don't have to slow down as much to get in tight to the trees, bird baths, sheds etc.

Trimming first has always worked well. I can't see doing it any other way.

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

That's interesting. I do a walk-through on my jobs before putting equipment on it so I don't run over things, but never pondered trimming first.

Do you guys find you end up trimming more than you need to or end up having to trim again because of something you missed?

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have many of times tried that whole trim thing first, but it never worked out. I still always had things to trim afterwards

5. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow first, then trim what ever spots I missed with the mower. I've tried it both ways, and this seems to work slightly better.
    On occassion, I will trim and edge first, just to do things a little different. Mowing the same lawns gets a little boring don't you think?

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Always trim first. I know where I can and can't get, and rarely do I have to go back to retrim anything. I like to get the trimming done 1st so I can get it out of the way and enjoy the mowing. And it lets me see what's what in the yard before getting out the mowers.

:D

7. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

Another vote for trim first. Now what my mower cannot get to, so I know what to trim. Go over yards the same way each time. Doing this it makes it habit and miss very little if any.

8. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

Alos doesn't leave the trim on top of grass if done last. It gets mulched by mower when first.

9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Once we have mowed a property a couple of times and know it well enough, we will always trim first . It is much faster and and shows a better result.

10. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I almost always trim first. Get the worst out of the way the rest while I mow. After you mow a yard once you pretty much know what the mower cant get.