Mixing dry Fungicides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Apr 18, 2012.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If it is spray injury--you should be able to find subtle "tells". It should be worse nearest where you were standing. and less injury on the back side of the tree or anyplace that is difficult to access. Gaps in coverage should be visible.

Bacterial spot usually develops more slowly and the new spots have a water soaked ring around the spot. Bacteria need a previous infection to start from. And the bactieria need warm moist rainy misty weather. Wish I could help more.

2. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks again Riggle,
    Yea, think Bacterial spot fit for one I remember the tree doing this last year now.

But no where as bad this time of year???
    [​IMG]

I was told to start the copper fungicide when the leaves fall to prevent this so we'll see next year, plus getting rid of this cocktail of Immunox, Malathion, Liquid seven and Captan and finding me some Imidan for next season.

3. kirk1701

Hey guys

Thought I'd come back and update this thread with some findings.

I lost all my peaches this year, all fell off :confused:

Started the season off with the same spray schedule, think I posted about it and nothing changed. No apparent reason for the peaches to fall and never did figure it out.

So, Mid July the tree's were beautiful, no leaves falling off and no yellow spots like I posted in the pictures in the last two pages of this thread. What changed?

I'm not spraying the tree's that's what changed.

What I also found out was the captan I was using was too much, well DUHHH!!! Riggle you done mentioned that last year but I was going by what the Horticulturalist at the university of Kentucky was advising me 6.5 Tablespoons to 2 gallon. Even after the peaches fell off this spring I questioned the captan again and he said No, that didn't do it. :nono:
    Further questioning it yielded the fact 6.5 Tablespoons was too much and I told him he was the one that gave me that info and when I questioned cutting back on it in 2012 I was told no, I'd be at risk of diseases????

Now, 1.6 Tablespoons to a gallon was the correct rate :confused:
    Too F$%ken late now my peaches has fell off.

Mid July I decided WTF I'm going to test the captan at 1.5 Tablespoons per gallon and see if the leaves turn yellow:

So why didn't the peaches fall off last spring?
    I didn't start out using the captan right after the blooms fell that's why:
    Must have given the peaches just enough time to mature enough to withstand that dose.

So next year, 1.5 Tablespoons captan / gallon

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

You never apply Captan with emulsifiable concentrate insecticides. That just begs for leaf burn. 1 oz per gallon of Malathion is way too much. Try more like 1/3 oz. 6 tablespoons of Captan is 3 lb per hundred gallons. That is fine if your are spraying with an air blast or mist blower type sprayer where the concentration of chemical can be 4 x what it is through a spray to wet application. Assume that a hand sprayer is applying the equivalent of 400 gallons per acre.

What is used on fruit trees is very much like the cocktails that used to be needed for spraying roses. Apply that much Captan or Malathion at one time and the effect would be worse than any disease or pest.

5. kirk1701

Thanks Greendoc,
    Question though, the Malathion, that's label rate 1 oz/ gal???

But I did have my suspicions which is why it and the captan was sprayed separately just to see end of July. No damage, see notes.

6. greendoctor

1 oz per gallon Malathion is way over label rate. 1/3 oz or 2 teaspoons and never with Captan.

7. kirk1701

Greendoc
    Maybe were looking at different labels?

I'm using Spectracide Malathion
    2 tablespoons would be 1.041 oz. so 1 oz. to gal right?

And here's the spray program he recommended (Scroll down to Page 14. See Remaining covers: Continue spraying at 10- to 14-day intervals.

I'm open to all suggestions I don't want to lose next years crop. But that's the label and the Spray schedules I followed. Some of which he worked with me on changing like Permethrin we substituted Liquid seven (I believe). All mixed in together, sprayed at same time; Captan, Immunox, Seven & Malathion.

8. kirk1701

Keep in mind, I don't think I'm going to add the captan for the first two spray applications, maybe 3.

Kind of like I did in 2012 but not because I withheld it, see notes above I just didn't know, I was still working with the contact learning what to use and when.

Somehow, I think holding back that captan saved me from a loss in 2012.

9. greendoctor

Looking at the same label. Malathion 50% EC has been around from before I was born. 1 oz per gallon is more like the dose for dormant trees for scale control. 2 teaspoons per gallon is for control of aphids and mites on plants in leaf.

10. kirk1701

Ok so do I even need the Malathion?
    I'm applying dormant spray in middle of winter here:
    As you can tell, I take and keep good records/ Notes :drinkup:
    EVERY YEAR :waving: