mixing fert to make a blend

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by vaacutabove, Apr 16, 2013.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a t3000 I have been thinking about getting a local co to mix my uflex a little urea and k. And using lime as a filler. I would be able to mix what I needed per round and have it in a 2 to sand bag in the enclosed trailer. Any thoughts on this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Why not use an organic filler? Barry can help you. Adds essential micronutrients, organic matter and extra nitrogen. Probably cheaper.

How do you plan to get the product from the bag to your spreader? Scoop bucket?

Do you mean all your fert in one huge bag?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  3. vaacutabove

yes it may not be practical but just what I was thinking. Just trying to keep cost down and if it means riding into the trailer in the middle of a yard its all good to me. most of my yards are 22k or smaller but I do have a hand full of 150k yard as well so Im willing to try it just wondering if it would be a bad idea.

everything needs lime in my area. So thats why I was going with lime a a filler. I can get it mixed for 5 dollars a load so it would be dirt cheap.

4. vaacutabove

and yes would prob. use a bucket could fill hopper just as fast as using bags I would think.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

How much lime does your soil tests say you need for the lawns you're treating?

6. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I will be doing a similar thing this year for fert on my larger rural properties. I am going to use a a 275 gallon tote with the top cut out to store/haul the fert. I'll line it with a tarp or drop cloth. Then, when I get down to 25-50lbs, I can just lift the tarp out. Mininimum to mix here is 1000 lbs, so I'll just get what I want blended and use it within a couple of days. I'm sticking with coated slow release products for higher end yards.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

8. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I've used my hopper before and considered the chute, but never followed through. We don't get many pop up showers here in OK. I'll store it in the barn at night.

I'll be doing a test comparing 46-0-0, 43-0-0 100%xcu, 46-0-0 treated w/ Stay N, and 46-0-0 treated w/Nutrisphere N. I'm planning on just donating the product to a local school, where I do their spraying and overseeding.

9. vaacutabove

past the last one i ran was on mine was a 5.6 for ph and was 4.5 two years ago. I would not use a ton but some as filler. As far as the tote that is not a bad idea as well. because with a pallet jack you could move it where ever u need it. I was thinking about the ton sand bags just because i have a ton of em. FYI the also work awesome for trimming bushes.

10. vaacutabove

when mixing this I am looking at going with 2 lbs of product per k is do y'all think that is to low for a T3000 I just got mine so not super sure.