mixing oil/gas on 4cycle motors?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 25nbl, Jul 25, 2004.

1. 25nbl

25nbl LawnSite Member

Does it hurt anything if I use my mixed oil/gas for my 4 cycle engines as well as my 2 cycle?

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Probabally not.May make them smoke some. But why would you want to waste expensive 2 cycle oil?

3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

this needs an explanation...

4. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Sounds like someone is too lazy to carry a second gas can... tsk tsk tsk.

5. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

If ya dont want too just take gas line off your mower, going too the carb fill up put it back. :confused: :confused:

6. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

your going to hurt the engine very badly, the cylinder won't get enough lubercation.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

The main problem I'd think you'll have is detonation.. and deposits, and a lot lighter pocket book...You are asking us because you ran out of straight gas in the middle of a job and just wanted to make sure you didn't hurt the motor, right?? If so, I'm sure you'll be fine, I've done that in a pinch myself, with no ill effects.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been selling commercial mowers for 19 years and have not allowed straight gas in the shop.

Everything that burns gas has always been serviced with mixed gas for 19 years with no problems.

We use only Amoco (BP now) 89 octane and Shindaiwa or Stihl oil.

For several years we used Optimol 100-1 in all new equipment (2 & 4 cycle) and everything we serviced in our shop. I'm not sure why we changed to 50-1.

Oldtimer

9. 25nbl

25nbl LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!!, no, I'm not lazy, just wanting to save my pocketbook, I would give 10 bucks a week anyday to use mixed oil and gas in a 4 cylcle mower, than some employee use straight gas on one of my 2 cycle mowers, blower, etc...!!!!!!!!! any blow the motors!!!! There should never be straight gas on that trailer...you will see one day when it happens..and you will always use mixed fuel...guarenteed!!!!!

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If your help isn't any smarter than that, maybe you should consider new help. Color code the gas tanks...maybe that will help or don't carry any straight gas on the trailer.