1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mixing TTTF

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Dec 14, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have read and heard that you cannot mix TTTF into existing blue/rye lawns. I was wondering how bad it really looks? I understand the colors are quite different, but wouldn't it be spread out and not just patches here and there? What if you overseeded once/twice a year with it? Wouldn't it start to take over the lawn?

What about an old school lawn here in ohio which is a tall fescue/blue/rye mix? If a lawn has a lot of K-31 tall fescue in it already wouldn't the TTTF camoflauge the K-31 better than overseeding with a rye/blue mix? I realize the best option would be to kill the lawn and start over if you have clumps of K-31 sparingly spread out, but some customers aren't willing to pay the money for that.
  2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

nobody has had experience with this? cmon fellas. i know someone has tried to overseed TTTF into blue/rye lawn. any experiences or even what they have heard from experienced lawn providers?
  3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

for what it is worth - i found this

Also, i took a turf class at Rutgers yesterday & from what i understand TTTF is not going to take over the lawn because it is a bunch grass. It does not spread by rhizomes. Basically the individual grass plants just get bigger instead of producing new plants as offshoots.

I am no expert but the class was taught by one.
    Hope this helps a little.
  4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor LawnSite Member

Dont do it!

Nice save allure.

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Barenburg USA recently released a rhizomatus tall fescue but it looks like it might be a little too coarse to seed into KBG or perennial rye.
  6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't most fescue sod a mix of blue and tall fescue? I thought they have to use the blue in order get the fescue sod to stay together when cut into strips.
  7. I've seen the numbers of rhizomes in tt tall fescue, nothing like bluegrass you might as well say their are none in the tt tall fescue.

Their is nothing that can camoflouge (sp) k 31, dam, it's a COURSE forage grass, and shouldn't be sold as a lawn grtass!

Usually a tt tallfescue mix will have less than 10% bluegrass, maybe, and I said maybe, if you overseed a blue/rye mix with tt tall fescue, and the existing blue required high nitrogen, if you starved the bluegrass, MAYBE you could get the tt tall fescue to exist.

BUT, why would you want to introduce tt tall fescue. We only grow it here due to the hit, and now, some of the new heat tolerant blues are showing more promise
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I just remembered. The rhizome tall fescue I used this fall on most of my properties had 10% kentucky blue grass mixed into it.
  9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The summer stress mix we like from UAP is 70 fescue 20 rye 10 blue...
  10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't recommend seeding Tall Fescue into an existing fine textured lawn unless it's a lower maintenance backyard setting for kids & animals to romp around on. The difference in texture being the main reason.

Round it up & slice the Tall Fescue into the dying Bluegrass.

We're hearing that Barrenbrug's RTF is going to be in tight supply in 2007 so get it soon.