MJB's slope mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 24, 2011.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just thought I would repost MJB's older pictures of a bank he cuts with a push mower. Any guesses at the degree or percentage of slope? How would you tackle it? Hope it was OK to repost these MJB?

bank 005.jpg

bank 011.jpg

2. Trucklover

Trucklover LawnSite Member
    from MD

about 60 degrees?

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

The push mower on the rope looks to be the best way, but I could imagine very time consuming. Depending on your staff, I'd try to get 3-4 guys with spin trims to bang it out quickly. Or maybe a guy with the rope mower and a couple other guys whipper snipping. That would be a tough job and you'd have to keep with it so it didn't get out of control.

4. BOSCHERT LAWN CARE

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

50-55* i would hit it with a trimmer and 2 extra sets of hands to knock down the time

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

We did it for years with string trimmers but after many falls and several close calls I decided to pay someone for 6 hrs on the slope mower. This is part of a large HOA that takes me and my wife about 5 hrs anyway to mow an trim. Then I work on sprinklers and pumps etc so it works out better. It also looks much better looking down after it mowed this way compared to string trimmers.

6. MJB

from Wa

Oh yea, Before anyone says 6 hrs........ the pictures show about 1/2 of it, it's twice as long and has more crap to mow around on the other end.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

there has to be an easier way....

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i used to work for a guy many years ago and we had a slope to mow...it was steep but i dunno how it was in comparison to yours...we mowed it with a walkbehind going up and down rather than side to side...i actually rode the sulky on it too lol...seems to be an area at the bottom that's flat so you can turn around easily.

9. MJB

from Wa

It's only once per month so I can just call the a company that sends out a laborer , they send me a bill , they pay the laborer and L&I etc. While he's busting his rear I have plenty to do to keep busy and keep an I on him. So it works for us, plus I don't have to do it anymore.

10. MJB

from Wa

We tried that but if the operator slips going up the hill the mower flips over backwards with blades turning not good. Plus the retaining wall above the lake gives you about 4 ft to 6 ft at the bottom before you get wet.