1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

MK Wet saw opinions

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by vntgrcr, Nov 16, 2005.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I have been researching getting a wet saw for doing pavers and want a MK brand. My dilemna is that they make a model MK-100 for doing tile work. 10" blade, 3 3/4" depth, 1 1/2 HP motor, less than $600, etc. Then they make a MK1080 for pavers. The same specs as the 100, maybe a heavier duty slide table, a spring loaded lift on the cutter, $1100, etc. I can't find a reason to justify the extra $. I will be doing 2-10 jobs a year. I am sure some of you guys use these, let me know what you think. Thanks
    David

http://www.mkdiamond.com/masonry/saw_1080.html
    http://www.mkdiamond.com/tile/saw_100.html.

2. CuLayTur

CuLayTur LawnSite Member

You can't go wrong with a MK saw we use this one:

http://www.mkdiamond.com/masonry/saw_2000.html

It allows are guys to make quick work of any size brick,paver or stone that we are working on. We can even cut an entire SRW block in a two passes.

Curt

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with DVS. All the paver installer I work with favor the EDCO saws over wet saws, especially at this time of year. Cleanup is always a breeze and no mess to deal with.

Kirk

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

6. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I used my new MK 100 today and it worked great. The saw came with a tile blade, so I changed it out to a segmented dry blade for another $75. I am very happy I went with the 100 as opposed to the 1080 and saved $600. I am sure if you were doing pavers every day, then the 1080 may be better but for a job a month or more, the 100 is a great deal. It came with a stand and a whole kit of jigs for doing miter's etc, maybe more applicable for tile, but I may use parts of it. Give the 100 some thought if you are in the market for a wet saw.
    David

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

food for thought, I went with the mk1080 but I bought it used at my local rental yard for $500.

8. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

We use a Target wet saw as well. But is too heavy for one guy to lift and set on the stand by himself. So it is pretty much a 2 man operation.

The EDCO saw loooks pretty nice. 1 guy able to set up and take down by himself? How much do they run?

9. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Was just looking at the EDCO web sight and looking at some of the saws. How do you like not being able to move the blade up and down? Easier that way? Any pros and cons?

Would definatley have to go with the expandable pro cart. Would be a pain kneeling all day to cut.

10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Not moving the blade is not an issue, less moving parts makes it more durable. The con would be the price, the pros start with durability and continue with ease of cleanup. Absolutely go with the cart. Easy & safe to move around, plus adjustable height to the user.

Kirk