Mo money!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MightyMc12, May 25, 2005.

1. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

I am a so called "scrub" and I acknowledge it but, am I making more money then the big businesses? I pulled up to a lawn of mine its a $20 lawn I had started and finished weed-eating in about 15min. I spent about another 10min mowing and some big lawn mowing company pulled up with two people and and a walker. I finished before them with a simple 21" pro-line. The lawn they were mowing was roughly the same size. I spent an extra 25min and made twice the money payup . Is this a common event?

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

When you don't claim your income and pay taxes, don't pay workman's comp, don't have liability insurance or the appropriate licenses, then yes, even a baboon could be trained to mow yards and make money. Unfortunatly, these are expenses that a real business has and are not avoided.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How do you know you made twice the amount of money over them I would like to know?

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Think about it Rod. There is no FICA, FWT, Insurance, ect. For most self-employed people, you lose $.40 on every dollar due to taxes alone. Yes, I believe that they made twice the amount that a legit biz would. It is sad too!