Mobil 1 Oils ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 23, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Is running synthic oil worth the extra cost. Do you change it at the 50hr's like regular oil, or do you run more hours without changing it? Getting my walker w/20HP Kolher and wondering if mobil 1 will help it run longer before an overhaul. Thanks for your input. Mowman

2. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Yes, it is worth it. especially an air cooled motor.<br>If you are getting the 20 hp kohler command OHV, after 200 of regular oil(for break-in)<br>use Mobil1 10W-30. Change oil, and filter every 100 hours.<p>----------<br>-Grasscape Mgmt.<br>

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

How would it be worth it? Recommended interval with regular dino oil is 100hours 200 on the filter.<p>Bill

4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it will be worth it your engine will last longer but you have to use it with regular oil change intervals not twice as long. I use it on all myequipment and never have any problems.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have used Mobil 1 in my vehicles for years. I used Amsoil in my Grasshopper, but switched it to Mobil 1 last year and I have run Mobil 1 in my 25 Kohler on my Kees since 50 hours. I change the oil and filter every 100 or so hours.<p>If synthetics reduce friction, they will reduce heat. Anything to get rid of heat in an air cooled engine is welcomed.

6. Alan

Alan Member

Synthetics will run cooler, but the only way to see a financial benefit, other than possibly less wear, is to extend the change interval. I'm changing mine (Amsoil) only once a season. Up here in Vermont, with our short season that comes out to about 250 hours. I change the filter at around 125 and top off with enough fresh oil to fill it up. Due for a filter change right now and the oil is still clean enough that I can see the markings on the dipstick through the oil. Running Amsoil in the trucks as well and changing at 25,000 mi.

7. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Never said it was cheaper, ...only better

8. bdemir

Wow 250 hours an oil change that is pretty long i do mine every 50 hours.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Nobody has yet explained how it is &quot;better&quot;. I use 99c a quart mobil 10-30 in all my equipment and my cv18s with 1500 hours doesnt need any oil added between 100 hour changes.<p>Bill

10. bdemir

I think it is better because it runs cooler and still pours at freezing point where regular oil hardens and it takes alot more to burn it up so you can run it longer but it looses its fresh qualities fast just like a regular oil and some stretch the oil change interval but in my opinion if you look at the dipstick it truns black and scratchy and the engine doesnt run as smooth then its time for and oil change. Synthetic oil is better because of its extreme cooling properties exspecially at higher rpms and it can stay liquid at way below freezing unlike regular oil so its great for snow plowing engines starting them up in the middle of night and running trough blizzards and so on. Most engines will run smoother and quieter and cooler thus preventing many engine problems due to heat such as seals burning away and then oil leaks and then oil burning so if you dont want to replace seals and keep it cool then synthetic is your choice. Oil is the lifeblood of an engine why not use synthetics.