Mobil 1 or Amsoil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Which oil do you all think is better? Please explain why you use one over the other. I've found that Amsoil is about a buck more a quart. Napa store owner told me there is nothing out there better than Mobil 1. So give your comments.
  2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just changed all my mowers over to Amsoil. The 100 to 1 premix is excellent, and there are soo many testimonials about Amsoil.
    I've always heard that a full synthetic is better for an engine after it's broke in.
    And if you haven't already, do a search there are a few posts here about it.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

growing up working for my dad at his two gas stations (mobils), ive grown to only use mobil. nothing, but super plus for the truck, and mid grade for mowers. strictly mobil oil for all my equipment as well.
  4. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

My personal opinion only.
    And I assume we are talking only about synthetic lubricants.
    I use the Mobil 1 in everything I have except the Ford PSD and the Kubota diesel in the Walker mower. Mobil 1 is readily available. I like to be able to go to a local supplier to get my oil.
    Mobil 1 and Amsoil are both great lubricants. If I had access to the Amsoil and could just go pick it up I would use that because I think it is a little better.
  5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm new here and don't have a lot of input about mowing, but I can comment on oils. I'm a firm believer in synthetics, and both Mobil 1 and Amsoil are great oils. I personally chose Amsoil because I could become a dealer and have the product shipped directly to my house. I have had a few problems with leaking shippments, but Amsoil has always been very good about replacing the lost oil. You can't beat the convenience of coming to your door within 24 hours!

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Today was the first time I had a chance to try the lawn boy with the 100 t0 1. I mixed mine 80 to one ( half a bottle to 2.5 gallons of gas). There was less smoke and it ran much smoother.
  7. dhicks

dhicks Member

Both are great products I.M.H.O. I use Amsoil in my vehicles because of the 25K miles b/w oil changes. I just replace the Amsoil oil filter at 12.5K. In two years and 75K miles, no problems yet.

In my Hustler and other mower equipment I use Mobil-1 and change the oil and filter every 100 hours.