Mobil GPS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhicks, Jun 14, 2001.

1. dhicks

dhicks Member

The area I service is large to include surrounding counties and some large metropolitan areas. Somedays DC traffic is a bear and I don't know all of the alternative routes to my destination. I was wondering if any of you use GPS equipment and what brand and any recommendations you may have. Anything that will cut our driving time to the job will save me $$$.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I do extensive traveling in my job.
    I have a laptop mounted in my truck and I use it for mapping and also use a gps system.
    I love mine, it works great, talks to me to tell me the directions and mileage to anywhere I want to go.
    The accuracy is excellent.
    My system is made by Delorme, and I have a reciever mounted on my dash.
    I know that a lot of people use the handhelds, this may be a good choice for you.
    Pj

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have the Garmin eMap which is a hand held that can be mounted to the dash. You can also just lay it on the seat and it works fine. The new ones are much better than the first one I ever had. I never leave home without it when I am going to new Turf (pun intended) and also when we are traveling. It even lets you know how far the next rest area is on interstates. :)

It is programable and it came with an 8 meg card and you can get up to a 256 Meg card for it to put in more detail for any city in the world. If I need to go to a strange area, I program in the address of the place I am going and it leads me to the door step. It is accurate to with in 14'. ;)

It can also be used for hicking or boating. It plugs in a 12 volt lighter and also can be hooked into a laptop and see the display on the laptop. It keep track of moving time, stopped time, and total time on a trip. Shows where you can eat, the name and address of the resturants, Hotels, ect. The list goes on and on.

This eMap costs $249 at Best Buy, I know other places has it about the same price.

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I like the fact it tracks moving time, stoped time etc... I wonder if you would be able to lock that feature to track employes time on a job? Would be nice if I could afford it and expand the biz. Could track job time for better estimates and record keeping. Can you save the days travel? for better route planing and know when your employees take a 2hr lunch or skip a lawn?

5. dhicks

dhicks Member

Eric, lets say for example, you are leaving Chicago and going to Expo 2001 (hint hint.) You can program door to door directions on 8 megs of ram? If so, I gots to get me one.

6. Eric ELM

It keeps track of the exact route with a dotted trail where the GPS unit went. It will show you the exact locations it went. You can program it to take the crew to each stop you have by just putting in all the address and saving this route in the GPS unit. It will show them how to get to each of the next stops, if you show them how to operate it a bit. I haven't tried to set up a trip route using the computer yet, but I think it can be done. You can even get the latest software off the internet to update this thing. It will even give you the next cross street coming up in town and on express ways, it shows each exit and how many miles to it. One thing you will need is the map disk for your area to program in all the streets. Here is a link to see some info on this. This one is the deluxe for another $43 and it comes with a CD.
    http://eshop.msn.com/search/detail.asp?catID=4&pcID=614&prodID=111132

7. Eric ELM

dhicks, yes I could. :)

Another thing it does is tell you how far you have gone, how far you have left to go, how fast you are going, the average speed, and estimated time of arrival. I have only mentioned a few of the things this thing will do. It is hard to keep up on all these new toys they sell now days. :D