Mobile 1 in my 28hp Kawi?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nashmower, May 15, 2008.

1. nashmower

nashmower LawnSite Member
    from TN

28hp Kawi on a Lazer AS
    74hrs on engine

-planning on switching to Mobil 1 5w30

Any thoughts? - recommendations? warnings?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Penzoil platinum is the best over the counter oil you can currently buy. Lab test after lab test from real world users like you and I show very low wear numbers in engines running penzoil platinum. Mobil 1 used to be really good untill they reformulated and started to use group 3 base stock. Now they are very average.

With that said you shouldnt have any problems at all. But if it were me I would run penz platinum 5W-30.

3. nashmower

nashmower LawnSite Member
    from TN

Nice insight, thanks

By the way - how does the exmark compare to your gravelys in cut quality?

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Dino oil for me!

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've also done some research. When you say Mobile 1 is average you are referring to synthetic oils I hope. I mean it should be superior to dino/conventional oil from what I've seen but yes only average in the synthetic products. They did change the stock but should still be much better than any conventional oil. I think Amsoil also test pretty well (better than Mobile 1). Mobile one is the easiest to find is it's strong point I think.

7. ProStreetCamaro

The lazer we have has 2,200 hours on it. It has the TriVantage deck. The old lazer still cuts like a champ. I would say the cut quality os very comparable. They both cut very good like a carpet finish. The 160Z is impressing me more and more every day because it never gets any build up under the deck and we have had record setting rains this spring.

8. ProStreetCamaro

Yeah I am talking about synthetic. The base stock isnt nearly as good as the group 4 they used to use but its still alot better than conventional oil. Over at www.bobistheoilguy.com everybody is raving about penz platinum because everybody is getting great results when they do an oil analysis. They are seeing alot less wear material and the TBN is always pretty high with the penz platinum.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I thought you were saying but wanted to make sure. Yes there are different grade synthetics and Mobile 1 usually isn't the very best, just better than conventional. It's just easy to go by Walmart and get the 5 quart jug for about $20. :)

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I personally would wait at least another oil change interval (or two) on dino, then switch.

But I would use 10W-30, not 5.