1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mobile Home Axles

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by drsogr, Mar 27, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I found a home made trailer for sale with mobile home axles on it. Are mobile home axles as good as regular trailer axles? Do they have a typical bolt setup for the rims? Can you go to the salvage yard and get rims for them? Can you add brakes to an axles like that?

If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate it.
  2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very heavy duty axles but as I remember the tire size is 14.5. Weird size.
    I doubt that they can be converted to lighter duty rims. Might check with a tire store..
  3. LupineLandscaping

LupineLandscaping LawnSite Member

I just looked at a home made trailer w/ mobile home axles. They are very heavy duty axles and yes the tire set up is odd. I don't know what you could do to change the tire set up or add brakes but the good news is that you can generally pick up a tire and rim for the axle for around 10$ used. So it's a trade off. I wouldn't reccomend using them, unless it was for that seldomly used trailer that hauls trash or just debris. Good luck,
  4. drsogr

Thanks for your help guys. This trailer would be used practically everyday.
  5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a homemade dual axle car trailer with mobile home axles. It was very heavy duty. The wheels and tires pretty much come as a pair, or atleast it is the easiest way to get them. About $10 per tire and wheel seems about right. My trailer had brakes, but I never wired them in, so it can be done. All in all they are just as good if not better than anyother trailer axle. If you need new tires and wheels go do a mobile home park or a place that sells mobile homes and they can hook you up with stuff that they don't need, or just take them off someone's house when they aren't looking!:laugh:
  6. drsogr

LOL...take them off someone else's home. You are killing me.

So I take it they are not a typical bolt pattern. If they are heavy duty....why are they not recommended?
  7. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

Mobile home axles not bad to have on a trailer if you have access to tires. I have built two trailers and have used mobile home axles on both. They both have dual axles. My dad sets up mobile homes for a living and these trailers go to work every day. On average 100-250 miles per day for the last 12 years. So, these trailers really have the miles on them. Also, they are loaded with around 300 concrete blocks @ 42lb a peace half of that distance.
    The tires are a lot better than they were a few years ago. Most are either (12 or 14) ply. Dad has a truck pick up around (50-100) axles and (100-200) tires a month that he takes off new houses. He sales them for $49 on the brake axles and $39 on the drag axles. He gets $25 on the new tires and $10 to $15 on the not so new ones. Most newer ones are (12 or 14)ply. He usually wears a set for a month or so and swaps them out before they are to bad to sell.

The rims of the tires are open and they are mounted to the axles with a washer that fits the rim. If the lugs are loose or the washers are worn the rim will pop off the axle. But if they are put on right the time, they will stay on.

If money was not a problem I would go with the regular axles because they seam to ride smoother. But I would be scared of the mobile home axles. They are made for abuse. And yes there are brake axles.
    I hope this helps some, Cheyenne
  8. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

We used those axles on the trailers at my dad's equipment rental store, for carrying Bobcat trackhoes, skidsteers, and track loaders. They are strong, very strong, tires are cheap, and I only remember changes bearings two or three times in many years. The tire and rim combos cost us $25 new( basically new).
    I would say it would be an asset to have these axles.
  9. drsogr

Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it. The rims and axles around here could be had easily I am sure. There is a lot of trailer parks in the area. I was guessing that they would be pretty heavy duty. Do they look goofy on trailers or is it something that really doesn't look too bad?
  10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

they are dayton axles that mean not bolts that tighten them they are wedged on to the hubs. they are not recomended because for the longest time when you bought a home the axles came with them so the were designed to go a few hundred miles and that was it. so they would save money by puting cheap berrings and races in them. not to metion cheap break systems. they will carry a heavy load but not that far. most people that run them alot have already replaced the berrings with better. but if you really look at a pile of moblie home axles you will notice that 1 out of 10 is bent because they have to put 8-12 of them on the homes. so when you turn that you tend to tear up stuff. the up side is now you have to pay extra for the axels now. because they are a little better these days so the companys can reuse them