Mobile Home Park Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dkarol, Jul 23, 2004.

1. dkarol

dkarol LawnSite Member

We have the opportunity to bid on an approximately 440 lot Manufactured (Mobile) Home park to be cut, string-trimmed and blown every week on the same day (Thursday). Plenty of small (low) trees, shrubs, "close" walk ways - real tight places. Also a "Common" area with pool, office, restroom/shower, play and recreation areas - about a city block in size. Since we've never cut anything close to this (residential only before), I NEED SOME INPUT - PLEASE! I'm thinking 3 guys on mowers (52", 42" and 36" ZTR's), 2 guys trimming and 1 guy blowing can "probably" do the job in one 8 or 9 hour day. Any ideas of how to win the bid and not loose our shirts? (We're in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware) -Thanks-:confused:

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

R u only going to use the 5 workers one day a week?

3. dkarol

dkarol LawnSite Member

I'm afraid so, however; they are available and have some experience on the equipment I intend to use.

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We get $2.00 per unit plus $50.00 and we are making good money.

5. dkarol

dkarol LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input, but my costs for labor is rather high here and I really don't think I'd be making enough to cover the man hours and "equipment hours", let alone make a profit for the company if I used your method of calculation. Six guys (and equipment) for 8 to 9 hours. Even McD's pays around $8.00/hr to start and up to $10+/hr for experience in a resort area like this. In fact, they import European workers here every summer and there are still plenty of jobs going unfilled. I was actually thinking in the neighborhood of $1,700.00 per cut. Do you guys think that is way out of line? This job is even hard on the mowers, since it is "constant" start, stop and turn in these tight areas. I'm also required to carry Workman's Comp even though this job is scheduled for one day a week and all other work is residential and we could get away with liability insurance only.

6. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

1,700 sound high my area, however if you can get it that would be awesome.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

$1700-2200 depending on exact size

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would go on the high side. When its wet you will have 440 rednecks or senior citizens complaining about grass sticking to their trailer, depending on what kind of park it is. If its a 55+ park, and its not wet, you will have 440 people finding something else to complain about.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You have to mow each lot?

I do one here in MN, but it's only an 80 home park and I just do the common areas and plow it, $400 / month, year-round.

I've mowed lots in the park for people for $10 / cut, but they have to move everything off of the grass (toys, boats etc.).

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you liscensed to spray? Because a string trimmer will eat right through the underpinning of a trailer. (Mobile home)
    Crawdad