Mobile home skirting...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Apr 30, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This question if for you guys that cut grass in trailer parks.
    The vinyl skirting around the base of these homes just chips and cracks away when hit with the trimmer.
    Any tips on how to deal with this?
    What about spraying something like Roundup along the edge about 3 or 4 inches wide? (Of course I'd have to ask the customers to do this as I don't have an applicators license).
    Some other thoughts were mulch, stones, bricks, etc. along the edge. However this would cost money and I don't know that I would get everyone to go for it. I think they'd go for the Roundup idea to save thier skirting.

Open to any thoughts for or against the above ideas. Thanks.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont cut any trailer parks, but the round up idea sounds like a good one. it may not look as apealing though. if you put pavers along it, then you can trim right up to the pavers. maybe someone else has some more ideas.
  3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

That sounds like it would save you and the customer alot of headaches. I would do it. Atleast explain to the customer your rhyme and reason. Who is to know who sprayed the roud up you or the customer. As long as you are not spraying it for whole lot of people and getting paid for it.
  4. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Try switching to a thinner diameter trimmer cord. You will go through more cord in a day, but the thinner, weaker, cord may not damage the skirting.

That has got to be easier than getting an entire park to help you by mulching, roundup, etc.

5. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've bought more mobile home skirting than I wish to think about.
    I use "Round-Up" around the base now and no more problems. Provide it at no extra charge and you can do it without an Ap. License.
  6. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

North Carolina Dept. of Agriculture told me even if you don't charge for it, you are being compensated for the spraying if you include it with your regular visits.

I don't know about PA. you may not even need license, check with extension office.

I do a few mobile offices outside my commercial accounts and always edge with Round-up. No more problems. Also I took pictures of the skirting befroe I took a couple of these to prove that it was damged before me.

If you can't spray it legally, maybe talk to customer and tell them to spray it. Maybe they won't spray the whole yard and cost themselves a fortune. I don't know about this, some of my customer can't spray a waterhose without causing a problem.
  7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I am pretty sure that they are very leanent and there is only one person for a whole district. Even if someone calls, I don't think that he would even bother to investigate unless you were dumping the stuff into a stream or something outrageous.
  8. RLC

RLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Don't use Roundup it cost to much. If you use bleach it does the same thing and it cost around a dollar for a gallon. I have tried it and it works for me. Also I have used landscape timbers around the homes. Try it and see what you think .
  9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I tied bleach and I think it don't work as well as round up. I heard that rock salt also keeps weeds from growing too. How true that is, I don't know.
  10. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I cut in a trailer park. No problem if you use the right trimmer. I tried to use my HUSKY 332L last year. NOT GOOD!!!
    I had been using a Weed-Eater Feather Lite with .065 line with no problems. Went back to using the smaller trimmer in the parks. I angle it so I can get it under the J-Channel, and don't even touch the skirting itself. I hope this answered your question.
    If you have any other questions on this subject feel free to e-mail me. My new address is