Mobile Office Questions??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by M & MD Lawn, Apr 4, 2012.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The IPad is in the plans....but I have the computer already lol, If I get the IPad and like it better..I will switch..but for now me and the computer are buds.

2. M & MD Lawn

See this is why I ask, I know not the first thing about inverters and don't know the first thing about where to go buy and or find a knowledgeable sales person. I want to buy the correct one the first time. What brand is yours? Also what wattage would you recommend..for the office. And I would love to see pics of your setup!

3. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering are you not afraid of having a setup in your truck it just kind of invites people to break in to your truck, or do you have an alarm system on the truck.
    I ask because I am thinking of going with a laptop and printer in the truck but vehicle break ins are huge around here.

Graham

4. M & MD Lawn

I have 20% tint and a full alarm system on my truck.... and its rarely that far out of my sight..Its also lettered so i park in highly visible spots

5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I have an alarm and am usually cautious of were I park. I also have 30% tint on my windows which helps somewhat. My printer is mounted under the armrest and my laptop slides into the center console easily enough if I want to hide it. The truck I drive the most that has the setup also a cap and is full of equipment and irrigation/lighting parts, the computer is near the last of my worries when it comes to stuff being stolen from it.

Also to the OP, you mentioned using your phone as a hotspot . That is the method I use. I have unlimited data with verizon. I use a lot of date, if it wasn't unlimited I would probably look to go another route.

6. the_bug_guy

the_bug_guy LawnSite Member

I used to have a computer in the truck but it was a pain. Thought about ipad but since it would not run my windows programs... went with the kindle fire. I use google calendar for my schedual and link with calen-goo. I have all labels and msds sheets on pdf to call up by name pictures of insects fungus plants plant care etc. All in the size of a small book. I append all customer invoices and pictures to one pdf file so if a customer has a question I type the name ... in one click I have a detailed snapshot for the customer of everything I have put on his property dates and charges.... with over 300 customers this has been the best tool ive had in 20 years

7. Zohan

Zohan LawnSite Member

Forget the inverter....just get 12volt chargers for laptop and printer. I have used canon ip90 printer last couple years and its worked excellent.
    Having said that, im going all ipad, once you mentally make the switch from windows programs to ipad you wont look back. At first it will be a bit of a hassle to find the apps that work for you, but once you do fuhgetttaboutit....
    If you go ipad, to print you will need an 'airprint capable' printer...google for that.
    There are a ton of apps you will have to look at to see which you prefer.
    Sign my pad is one that lets you sign pdf files. I use 'goodnotes' lets you take handwritten notes attach pics sign pdf files etc....i also use dropbox lets you drop anything into it and syncs it to all the computers/ipads you use...also try logmein, you can access your office computer from ipad in the field....

8. M & MD Lawn

Is it a good connection? I have unlimited data with sprint.

9. M & MD Lawn

I have a macbook pro currently...I will try the computer first and when and if I get a IPad I will see if I like it..If I do I will switch if not still mobile

10. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

^^^ What HE said.

I'm a tech idiot. Is it really possible to use my cell phone to pick up the internet on my laptop? I bought a laptop just for work, but if I can't connect to the web while I'm out, it's almost not worth taking with me.

I have an HTC Hero (Android) and a Sprint unlimited plan if that matters.