Mobile Printers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by blalawn, Jan 28, 2007.

1. blalawn

blalawn LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Anyone using mobile printers to print invoices on the road for lawn applications? Yes or no, have you herd any problems with them do to temperatures inside the truck? Will it mess with the ink cartridges?
    Hey, thanks LCO's
  2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

I am looking into it myself. I don't think there is a 12v printer so I am adding a converter to my truck so my laptop and printer can be hooked up.
  3. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone know of a good source for these?
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I started to use a lexmark Printer that I bought at WalMart for $ 24.97. I am running both my Lap top and Printer off a Power inverter. Yes I had one problem so far. I couldn't get the Printer to turn on. Therefore I had to mail the Bill instead of leaving it with the Customer. BTW on my way home a purchased a HP printer to replace the Lexmark, However the Lexmark is now working fine. Since I have not had the Printer in my truck very long, I can't tell you a lot about reliability. I still have a Florida hot humid Summer to go though.

PS I like the Idea of a printer in the truck for many many reasons.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not speaking for myself--but--I have a friend who operates an irrigation company. He uses his printer to make system plans and print off a copy of plan and the contract on the spot for immediate signing of contract.
    ---He uses a printer high on a shelf near the back window of his pickup. He uses an inverter to supply 110 volt power, plugging into his cigarette lighter. An inverter is available at most auto stores and probably at Walmart. And online. Not expensive--but--they come in different sizes and capacities. I have 75 watt--rather small. Check your printers watts and allow for about 50 percent extra power. More powerful inverters cost more.
  6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Take a look at the HP 460. It is made for laptops, and does not draw very much power from the inverter. They have them at Staples.
  7. blalawn

blalawn LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Thanks alot lco's.
  8. extreme lawn care

extreme lawn care LawnSite Member

Had 1 at office max yesterday for $250.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at the HP 460 and it is Build to with stand more punishment than a regular printer because it is intended as a portable. It also has a nice size and doesn't take up a lot of room. Drawing power from an inverter really doesn't matter to me since the Printer is only turned on long enough to some quick printing on the job site.

Since this is my first attempt at on site printing I start with a cheap printer 1/10 the HP 460 cost. I will be buying a HP 460 once my cheap lexmark bites the dust.
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member