Mobile Traffic for April 1 - Aug 1

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by tonygreek, Aug 6, 2014.

1. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

this was part of my assumption about why my desktop usage was what it was. I know for a fact that I get hits and inquiries from people at work. I had one who worked for one of the alphabet soup agencies and left me numerous whispered voicemails because she was supposed to be in a secure environment. Love this area.

I applied for a blogger/speaker contest and they asked for several metrics, the results of which surprised me: my most popular blog post (how to remove concrete steps, by a HUGE margin) and my top 3 states for visitors. Luckily VA was #1, but I was surprised to see NY and CA were #2 and #3.

2. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Just curious- any of these guys have a robust blog? Maybe the long tail (research oriented) stuff brings more desktop traffic?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ben Bowen

from PNW

#1 is OR, #2 is CA, #3 is AK for me- extreme west coast bias!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Great question. Interestingly enough, none of that group has blogs of any consequence. 5 of the 8 have none. 3 of them have periodic posts. The 100% design/build has monthly'ish posts, specifically related to their completed projects or outdoor living ideas.

For that company, this will be changing, as we head in to 2015, via a concerted effort to create content utilizing past projects, as well as current. A photographer has also been going back and staging/re-shooting past projects.

You're probably on the right track, however, in how you're analyzing the difference. The long tail research, via desktop, could easily account for that.

5. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

April 1st-August 6th

Desk Top -69.84%
    Mobile - 80.57% IPHONE
    Tablet - 80.3% IPAD

6. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Math?

Tony keep talking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

Clearly I was drunk when I typed this (and I don't even drinky drink)

Desk - 68.87%
    Mobile - 19.71%
    Tablet - 11.42%

Do these add up? hahaha
    I see where I was looking, the next cell over to these #'s...okay back to not drinking.

8. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a little different tracking software but on my main site about 9% of my traffic is mobile and 7% is a tablet.

I think it is good to make sure your site looks ok on a phone but to be honest I hate the sites that have been optimized for mobile with a passion. that includes Lawnsite's version that is optimized for mobile. They are all just so terrible.

9. Ben Bowen

from PNW

I really dislike the mobile only- duda mobile- type sites. I think that responsive design is much to be preferred.

I really like the way Squarespace handles it. You have the option to make your site responsive, or not. Additionally, you can have a little mobile only footer that has icons for phone#, address, and email. This allows you to have the best of both worlds: serve all your content on all devices and have your contact info up front for the people on phones who are just looking to do that.

10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the responsive Studiopress templates for Wordpress, which is why I use one. The totally stripped-down mobile view is boring as heck.