Modern Architecture- Need Design Advice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by qualitylandscaping, Jul 28, 2006.

1. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Working on a long term project with a very good customer of mine. The house was just finished last summer. It's white stucco and has a very modern style to it. I've never seen a house like this before let alone had to design a landscape for one.

I'm looking for some guidance from those of you who have worked with homes like these before. As far as I know, there is nothing like this in the area to reference off of.

I will post a few pictures. In the area between the upper break wall and the concrete wall on the water, I have planned to install an inground firepit with white marble stone surrounding it as well as an area for guest seating. I'm looking for some plant selection ideas, and what works best with this type of home and the concepts of it.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

IM002467.JPG

IM002465.JPG

IM002472.JPG

IM002469.JPG

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve, what is the homeowner looking for? Often, modern refers to a minimalist style, or they may prefer a bold contemporary look. How about their entertainment needs? The walkway by the water, does not really fit the style of home. A natural stone or wet cast product in the cut or squared type shape would be more appropriate with the style of home. With all that glass, I am hoping they are seeking to exploit the views, so your plantings must compliment, rather than obstruct the views. Bold, bright colors are typically more in keeping with modern design and will contrast with home as well. I would take my cues from the interior design and decoration as well as how the family will use the home and property.

Kirk

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

use more flowering perennials grasses rocks lighter color mulches lighting only certain areas and ornamental trees. bushes and shrubs

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

check your fax

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Please tell me what is your Sunset Eastern Garden planting zone? Also..
    Are you talking about just around the house and the small areas below the wall or the large grassy area between the home and the wall as well?
    What about the front of the home, are you planting there also?
    Does the lake ever rise over the breakwall or does the area get flooding conditions?
    The home looks to be built in a hollow.
    I will play around with your pics and see what I can come up with.

6. sheshovel

I don't have a landscape design program so you will have to put up with my little Paint pics. I am not very good at those. Here are a few ideas that poped into my head.

7. sheshovel

another.......................................