Modified Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cybervision, Oct 4, 2007.

1. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

This is how to grind your Gator blades to get great performance. I have been using them like this for 4 years. Grass clippings come out in smaller pieces then stock Gators plus it pulverizes the leaves. I have never had a problem with the discharge clumping or grass building up on the deck. I bought this set to be my swapping set but I think I am going to try them as doubles this fall.

I know Gators web site said they don't need to be sharp but it does make a difference. Not only are the teeth moving the clipping back into the blade I think they now cut also. Plus the air flow is smoother with the sharpened edge.

These pictures were taken before I extended and sharpened the cutting edge. They came with only 6" of bevel and not all that sharp.

The last photo is of stock Gators.

2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

how do you sharpen them/what do you use and how long does it take? doesnt look like a bad idea i thought of it myself but i never really knew how to do it and if it would make a difference
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What kid of tool are you using on them?
  4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Nice pics. I was thinking of running some gators on my W/B's this fall since I've never tried them. Now I might have to modify them also.

Do you ever bag using these?
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

neat idea, i always wondered if it would help if they were "sharp"

so you run 6 blades on your setup with these sharp like this?
  6. cybervision

I have a 2" X 60" 2 Horse Power Belt Sander and I ran a 36 grit Belt. It does not take that long on that sander. You can use a smaller sander if you have one. That machine is almost as good as a grinder and I actually use it to sharpen the cutting edges as well.

As far as the double blades go.

I was running doubles on my 52"/25HP Hustler Super Mini Z. I used Fusions on the bottom and Gators on the top. I no longer have that mower.

I just came in from trying Double Gators on my 61"/17HP Bunton WB and the engine would not spin them up to speed. The rpms dropped down to 3040 and the engine was working hard. I did not even try to cut with it. With a single set of gators I can cut through most anything. The only time I would have to slow down is if the heaviest spring cuts were left go to long.
  7. cybervision

Missed the bagging Question. No I don't bag. The grass is always dispersed well. I don't have a tremendous amount of leaves so what I have is ground up pretty fine. I do circle mow so I am always cutting the discharge. This is what Gators are designed to do.

My Neighbor has a Exmark 60" AS with the factory Vac. He just put standard gators on this year and he says he is not dumping near a much. I told him maybe some of the clipping are falling to the ground. He replied I can't see them if the are. So anyway you look at it he has much less volume and it is much finer.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

will have to give it a try
  9. Yard Dude

Yard Dude LawnSite Member

I asked that question a few months ago.....I always wondered if putting an edge on the tails would make a difference. There's just not alot of room to work the edge. Do those thing whistle when you engage the blades?!!
  10. cybervision

They are no louder than standard Gators. They may be slightly quieter. They sound like Hi Lifts. I now wear ear plugs when working with power equipment. I wish I would of started earlier. It is now a habit and I almost never engage the blades without them in. With the uprights sharpened there should be a better air flow pattern. Without being sharpened the part of the leading edge of the upright goes in an outward direction. I am guessing that the with the dull edge some of the leaves and grass slides upward along the dull edge. With them sharpened more grass may be getting cut . Also the air flow may be smoother with no turbulence from the outward leading edge that was removed.

I know the Gator site shows the grass neatly going between the teeth and then being thrown back into the blade. We all know those teeth are hitting a lot of grass and leaves. I think the main reason they are not sharpened because it will drive up the manufacturing cost a lot. Now the teeth are not just a easy stamping process. Also the Gators do work well as they are and the cost is about the same as a standard blade.

Remember the gators are cutting much more than standard blades so keep them sharp. They work better.