Modified Lawn Tractor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike lane lawn care, Feb 22, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i was just wondering if there was any one else who has modified an old lawn tractor in to an off road UTV? My friend and I were going to take my old 12 HP Sentinel tractor and do the following:
    cut off all the deck hangers to increase clearance
    modify the drivetrain to increase top speed
    install lug tires on the rear wheels and put weights on all of the wheels
    we were also cosidering fabricating a "box" for the back of it, like the JD gator

The tractor runs great but it has such a crappy cut that is not even considered a backup machine for the backup machine.
    just wondering if any one has tried this and has any tips

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Gonna be one helluva ride without a suspension setup...

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this tractor doesn't have a HI-Lo range transaxle when you raise the ground speed you will loose pulling power, Thus get it stuck no power to get unstuck. I started building a puller,Frame from scratch with 2 six speed hi-lo transaxles in tandum with a M18 Kohler and 12" ATV tires. Put it on the back burner to restore my truck but it will get done one day.

4. mike lane lawn care

also, does anyone use their tractors as a source of emergency power? what i mean is we have had several inconvienent power outages, one time was my anual tiki party/Bonfire, and i used the tractor battery and an inverter to power the stereo system for the rest of the night, the tractor even fired right up in the morning. i was just thinking this because sometimes we get power outages in the winter where we depend on the furnace punp to heat the house.

5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an old Ford lawn tractor that I use to move my airplane. It has wheel weights and the tires are filled with water. No mowing deck.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Never done that, I have a Generator.

7. mike lane lawn care

at the current time we don't get enough power outages to justify a generator, just an idea i had. thanks though

8. mike lane lawn care

the old fords rock, i had the oppertunity to use one for plowing and tilling a few times, they seem to be built like tanks