Mods I have done to my mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapped a pic of my mower today, thought it might interest some of you guys.

I don't do much spraying, but when I have and the backpack was too much work with all the refilling and so on, I decided to make this frame to hold a 16 gallon tank and sprayer pump I bought at Northern Tool. This set up is made for ATV's and comes with the tank, pump, hose and wand and cord with switch to hook up to your battery. I strap the tank to the rack I made for my mower and can spray while zooming around on the mower. Makes it easier!

Also I made my own hitch for the rear. I just installed it, I only use it to pull a BlueBird Tow behind aerator, and I start my aerations next week. Normally the aerator just bolts to the hitch I made, but this year I installed a ball on my hitch and a coupler on the aerator as I think it will work better than a loose fitting bolt that I used last year.

I am also in the process of wrapping up a modification to the Blue Bird aerator to make the aerators wheels come up or down without leaving the seat of my mower. The bluebird aerators - tow behind - use a basic screw type trailer jack to lower or raise the wheels. I took out the jack and fabricated new mounts to allow me to use a electric trailer jack, and I am running the switch remotely so I can do everything from the seat. Yes I am lazy!!!

100_0806.JPG

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

All cool ideas there...
    Also a cool pair of matching Scags.

I can also sorta see a little about the Velocity discharge opening design.
    What happened to those pics you wer going to take for me?

Looks like Scag does way overkill on the belt guard setup.
    I can see why you have the covers off.
    I've owned others like that... trap a lot of stuff... pain to remove the covers and clean.

Very interesting looking spindle design though.

3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a pretty cool setup.. they look nice... I wouldn't like the hitch because I would probably knock and air conditioner with it or something.. but your probably a better driver than me :)

Now you just need to install CAT lights like me and you would be set :rolleyes:

4. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Evny, be cool my friend! I will get you lots of pictures today I promiss!!!

I just bought this mower Tuesday and before I left the dealer with it, I took it in the back and used their tools to yank off the roll bar, the spindle guards and the deflector shield. Also disconnect the safety switch in the seat.... The guards allow too much buildup in the spindle areas, makes it hard to blow out at the end of the day. Roll bar gets in the way and just adds more weight to a already too heavy machine. Deflector shield gets in the way. Safety switch, hey I like to leave it all running if I got to reach down to pick up a piece of trash or move a toy left in the grass etc...

Mowrite, I have considered lights, and then decided not to install them. Once it gets too dark to see what I am doing without lights, I need to just pack up and go home!

I did cut the grass out at the airport I have my hangar at a few weeks ago, and got started at 9pm and cut till almost midnight. Lights would have been real nice to have had then. I used two flashlights ducttaped to the front of the mower which worked pretty good to be honest.

About the hitch, It will come off as soon as I am done aerating the lawns over the next 2 weeks. I will mess something up with it too if I leave it on!

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Consider using Linear actutators to lift your bluebird.

Another thought would be to fab up something like a 3 point hitch on it, with some linear acutators, that would be pretty slick.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah that's neat, I've been waiting all year to see some mods, I like the tank thing to replace the bp sprayer.

8. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Even if you don't planning on using them alot, I would always suggest to install some because of times that you get caught in the dark, and when you get home and its night and you need to move your mowers around and light to see what your doing... even if you don't plan on mowing at night, you probably wouldn't believe how convenient they are...

the problem with mowing at night with lights, is that you can't see your stripes, but i mostly only mow fields and stuff like that at night, because i am a student, i might only have 5 hours of light when i get off of school, and i can't afford to do a 7acre field when i have 6 houses that need done also... with lights i can do them both..

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Here is a shot with the sprayer installed

100_0845.JPG

10. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Here is another shot...

I was winterizing my jet skis this afternoon as well, so excuse the mess!

100_0846.JPG