mohawks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by richard2, Jul 8, 2000.

1. richard2

richard2 Banned

since i am new and need a wirebrush scrubbing i was wondering if anyone knew how not to leave mohawks when they mow? also, is it true i can hammer out bent blades? i bend my blades on a regular basis and when i keep using them my mower starts to make a funny sound...oh yea it's a 21' lawn boy with front wheel drive....please help! also how do i properly fertilize a lawn and do i really need a permit to spray pesticides at people's houses? what if i only work for cash and don't report my earnings, do i still need to take a pesticide test? oh yea, one more thing...i have found that if i price my lawns at half of what everyone else charges i get more accounts, has anyone else found this to be true? has anyone tried the new murrary?

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't tried the new Murrey yet. But I would recommend you get a real mower like an MTD. They're great and you can buy ten of them for the price of one lousy commerical sized mower. They don't scalp and they are not hard to control like those sucky commercial mowers. I also wanted to tell you that I don't think you should buy that new WEEDEATER brand trimmer, they're are much cheaper ways of trimming, like hand shears, but if you insist on using all that &quot;Teknoligy&quot; than I would go with the new ryobi multi shaft. Whats a pesticide application license? Never heard of it. My customers don't care because they know that god is looking over my shoulder and helping me price my jobs, so everything will surely be okay. I also wanted to share one tip I learned with you here on the forum: For better striping, you should always, always mow backwards. Much better vacuum. See ya at church!<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice . I get all the accounts I want by my sign on my truck &quot; All Lawns 10 Bucks&quot; . My 100 customers bring in a cool 1k a week and I can do all in 135 hours . My overhead is kept low by using a push reel and the cut is great . I save hundreds on fuel costs. I use an electric weed eater with 2 100' ext. cords and the customer pays for the juice . How is that for sly?! Hope this helps out any new guys looking to make a kill'n in the Green biz.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You guy's are funny!

5. Guido

Hey guys, what happened to the dude that wanted to provide unlimited service for a small per month price, like AOL. He had this big idea, like your $10 all lawns deal where he'd have to work 60 hours a day to make any kind of small profit. I got a kick out of that dude, If I find the post I'll bring it back up here. <br>I was thinking, instaed of those new robotic mowers husq. came out with, I will plant an electric fence underground in everyones yard, and buy a baby calf. It will keep all the grass down no problem, and when it gets older, I could double my investment my selling it to the butcher. Does anyone have a contract I can use for subcontracting a butcher? Does anyone have any experience selling their mowing equipment to butchers?? I Love this place, its great! I wish it had a search feature so I didn't have to post questions that have been asked 20 times in the past month. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

6. richard2

richard2 Banned

i tried that backwards mowing thing and to my suprise it worked!!!! no mohawks at all plus the mower ran awesome! i dodn't bag though i mulched, and you really couldn't tell at all...one problem i that keeps me in trouble though is i want to put my hands under the deck while the blade spins...my health insurance has rocketed, why with two visits to have my fingers reattached my provider has threatened to cancel my coverage...all because i ripped off that sticker that says don't put your hands under here!!! also, i was spraying in shorts some 2-4-d stuff, i don't know the name i didn't read the label, i sprayed this kid on a bigwheel, well you guessed it- the kid turned green and the medavac chopper came then the cops took my murrary and some guy named STONED or something called the pesticide cops who broke down my door and took my computer and my roundup, then that guy called about the tree i ran over and he was pissed! what a day...but that's not all, i forgot to set my parking brake on my 78 f250 and it rolled down the hill and smashed into someone's double check and water started spraying up in the air, next thing you know some junkie took my brand new weedeater bent shaft trimmer and his sidekick stole my hedgehog hedge trimmers...i tried to chase them but by the time i started to run the pesticide police thought i was trying to flee so they called in the air force who used cluster bombs on my storage shed,( it was from home depot)well those cluster bombs blew my back up lawn boys to dust!!!! what a day!!! to make a long story short don't put your hands under a lawnmower deck while it is running!!!!!

7. Guido

I think since the gas prices are going up so high I'm going to just start using diesel. Will this effect the mowers power. I heard putting 2 lights on my walker will effect the power of my engine too ( Its really in that post!!) so I'm thinking of just strapping a flashlight to my hat. I have to mow through the night to make any money, man all these $10 accounts are killing me, I might have to hire help. I should just join the Air Force and forget about all this! LOL<p><p><br>OKAY, I'M DONE!!! No more from me on here (for a while at least) Chucks going to have a fit. I hope no one gets angry like bdemir did about his bent blades and started e-mailing me at home! I think we proved our point with this little skit. The moral of the story is, thats why people should be reading the archives before posting stupid, (YES&lt; THERE ARE STUPID QUESTIONS NO MATTER WHAT YOUR MOTHER ONCE TOLD YOU!!) stupid questions here. Sometimes I wonder if they should evenb be allowed to use a mower!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

8. dhicks

dhicks Member

Richard2: Hey dude one would believe that you are poking fun at us. However, after cogitating on your message regarding hammering bent blades and Murray equipment in the same paragraph, I’m confident that you are a real professional or you missed a dose of medication.<p>As for hammering bent blades: It works for me every time and saves lots of money in the long haul. On Murray Equipment: It’s the best and it really leaves a nice stripe that my customers beg for.<p>I like the way you think. Want to team up? If we joined forces we’d make millions. You could be the brains of the outfit and I’ll throw money at it. It’s a good thing we are in the lawn business because we would never survive owning a restaurant, as you are one taco short of a combination plate. Yes, I think you are!<br><p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac - ICQ [icq]31223414[/icq]<br>www.go-emerald.com

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

When I drive my ztr backwards devil workship messages can be heard emitting from the muffler. It must be the Kohler from Heck.

10. Guido

cantoo, my friend who has a friend who's cousin twice re-maried used to own a mower shop told me to keep the noiuse down just plug up that ole' muffler. Much cheaper than those dang ear plugs. Hell didn't cost me a cent, I just used the old big-macs under the seat of my station wagon. Let me know if this helps.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti