1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Molasses spraying

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by shovelracer, May 31, 2013.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Molasses is a short term food supply,,, so for the bagged lawn with weakened healthy microbes I would go with compost which should keep the wee beasties fed for a while...

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It worked very well, Barry. Behind the shop, which was probably 50 feet long, there was a large spots of Nutsedge. I waited until it was 3-4 inches long and sprayed with a Stihl backpack sprayer. I used warm water to break down the molasses and did some swaying every few minutes to keep everything mixed. The droplet was a mist, similar to how you spray Sedgehammer. I was only misting the tops of the plant.

It did selectively work on the Nutsedge. Once again, I forget even how the spraying of molasses on Nutsedge came up, I know I tried it and it worked. More testing is definitely needed.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Interesting....

When you say Stihl Backpack sprayer, are you referring to their mist blower?

Stihl Back Pack Mistblower.png

4. NattyLawn

No, Stihl makes standard pump backpack sprayers as well.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Natty, I'll have to give it a try. What time of year did you apply?
    Was a single application effective? Any ideas as to why this would work?

6. NattyLawn

I applied in mid to late June if I remember correctly. A single application was effective, but we were hot and a little dry at that point.

I did a little internet search and I saw the "Dirt Doctor" recommends this for Nutsedge at a rate of 4-8 oz of molasses per gallon with very little in way of results. They use it more of a soil drench than a foliar spray.

Why does it work? No one seems to know for sure.