1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mold in yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fishman644, Apr 13, 2007.

1. fishman644

fishman644 LawnSite Member

Im going to be doing a tearout/resod job and there is some mold in the yard. Am i going to be able to get rid of it by just taking the sod out or wil l i have to take a few inches of topsoil off too? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. You guys are great in here.
  2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

3 steps:1 Round up everything in the lawn...Wait a week or two...2 run the mantis over the thatch and moss. Rake it up. 3 Put down 10 lbs of lime per k in the moss laden areas.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Roundup will not solve mold problems. Was there recent snow?
  4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Roundup won't touch moss or mold...but will kill everything else out to prep for sod. Also, i thought he meant moss.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Snow molds can be prevented by promoting air circulation and good drainage. Also by avoiding over fertilization of nitrogen in late Fall. So yes, you can remove the grass there and the mold will go with it, however the cause of the mold may not. So check your drainage in those areas and improve it if necessary.
  6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Is the mold problem the only reason you are tearing out the sod?

Im sure that will get rid of the problem,but is that what the client really needs?