1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mole Control...Do I need a Vertabrate Certification?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LLM Ann Arbor, Dec 13, 2006.

1. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor LawnSite Member

Yes? No? In Michigan.

I doubt its covered under the Lawn cert.....right?
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Believe it or not, it IS covered under 3A (lawn) in MI.
  3. LLM Ann Arbor

I think you are wrong. Im waiting on a call fro Mel in Lansing, and just got off the phone with Nancy Butler, and we are both sure its Vertabrate 7D.

Its supposedly not even covered under my 7A General Pest cert as is the understanding and Nancy is sortof the "man with the plan" if you will.

Im gonna ask Mel when he calls me tomorrow.

I'll let you know because if it's not covered under 3a theres a lot of people doing it illegal.

Just trying to cover mt butt because Im gonna file my business license after I find out one way or the other and after I take the needed test if I need too.

But at this stage.....I'd bet you are wrong. So would Nancy.

She's the D.O.Ag regional inspector in my area.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure about this, because many do it with the FUM (fumigation). They use phostoxin (RUP). and they don't have a 7D. It will sure be interesting to know though, because if so, I have been operating illegally, and wasn't told any different (it was never pointed out if I has the 7A) when the SOS was inspected. I've had it looked at myself, and have sent a copy to another lco who had it inspected across the state. While it did have a few small "loose ends", nothing about that was ever mentioned. Please let us know...If this is the case, I've got some more testing to do. Granted, I'm already testing for structural, but I might as well do them together and save the money.
  5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

There was a MDA update by one of the inspectors in a Landsculpter magazine (MGIA's monthly magazine) this summer. I was going to scan it an post it, but of course I don't have it. Anyway, that's where I read it. It said for other turf pests such as geese you're not covered with 3A, but moles "currently" were. It's probably like the thread about trucking laws in MI. It all depends on who you ask and what kind of day they're having.
  6. LLM Ann Arbor

Im not a fan of huge regulatory additions but it would make sense to me that its a 7D certification, or at least covered under general pest control.

Technically....A mole isn't a turf pest. Im the truest sense of the definition. it does damage to turf, but it's ancilliary damage. They aren't going after the turf itself.