1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mole control guarantees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Apr 13, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,

When you do a mole job for someone (using Talpirid, etc.), what sort of guarantee do you offer the customer? 30 days? 90 days? 20 minutes? Or what?

I was thinking 30 days if they live adjacent to woods, river or stream, or mole-infested neighbor, 90 days otherwise.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting question!!!!
    I would also be interested in this.
    Bringing it to the top
  3. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

How can you guarantee mole control for 90 or even 30 days with Talpirid?

The Talpirid baits only kill THE mole that consumes it. Because moles are very territorial, it can be only a matter of weeks or a few days before another moves in to the same lawn. The Talpirid has been consumed by the dearly departed predecessor. If there are any baits left, the new mole may or may not use the same run (tunnel). You cannot prevent more moles from moving in once you have killed the existing mole/moles. Therefore, you cannot guarantee to control them for any period of time. You can only guarantee to kill the existing population that is present at the time of the treatment.

Am I wrong? If so, someone please set me straight. I too am still learning about these blessed little profit centers ...I mean varmints.

By the way, I offer no guarantees on mole control.

4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

How do your customers react to the "no guarantee" thing? I'm not being argumentative, but it would seem surprising if anyone is willing to shell out $100 or $200 or whatever if there are no guarantees.

Is there anyone in this forum who has used Talpirid for an entire season? What sort of results did you get?

I'd like to be able to offer some guarantee, but at the same time I don't wanna lose my shirt either.
  5. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

So far I have had no problems selling the service without a guarantee. People around here seem to be pretty reasonable and understanding when I explain it to them the way I just did. I have had no complaints so far.

6. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Guarantee for mole control.....no way
  7. Moonlight

Moonlight LawnSite Member

I treat quite a few lawns for gophers and moles. I explain that I can kill every active critter in the lawn but I cannot guarantee another family of gophers will not move in tomorrow. I have almost stopped doing gopher calls and sell it as part of my lawn program. It is now an add-on to my regular service. I sell it just like grubs or fleas, ticks etc.... Labor intensive but good money.......
  8. pema

pema LawnSite Member

I don't offer any guarantee for the reasons already outlined. The customer is told upfront that X amount of $$ will get them 10 baits. 10 baits don't mean 10 kills, nor will it prevent re-infestation.

I'm a little softer on the price I charge for Re-apps.

The key is to price High with the assumption you will have to return for at least 1 service call. After that, return trips are an additional charge.

So far I've had good results with Talpirid.
  9. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

When using Talpirid, do you visit the site two or three times. Also on a basic one mole job, roughly what are you looking to charge. I'm doing a two visit job starting at $180

10. pema

pema LawnSite Member

$180.00 is a good starting price. My price includes 2 visits. One to check for activity the next to place baits.

One thing I found that helps is to include the homeowner in bait placement. Have your price to include 10 or 20 baits. Walk the yard with the homeowner and give your recommendation for bait locations, i.e. 10ft apart...just like instructed on box. If the homeowner decides he wants 3 baits in one area your not cracking into another 40$ box to see to it that enough Talpirid is being placed. Also having the homeowner SEE YOU put the baits in the ground will eliminate the follow up calls that start with "You didn't do it right.....come and put some more down...I want a refund I still have moles"...

Good Luck