Mole control with battery devices ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 57 Chevy, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 57 Chevy

57 Chevy LawnSite Member

I began useing Talprid last season, it works great. I also use lupe trapps. I have a high end customer with exspensive dogs that refuses to let me use either one.Has anyone had any success with any of the battery opperated devices.His yard looks like hell, and I need to be the hero. Do I take a licken or keep on ticken ?
  2. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

It might be hard to pass on a potential customer but you may have to on this one. Once you get outside of effective traps and taliparid, mole control is pretty tough. Maybe the high priced dogs could be trained to dig em up!
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I agree with GTP. This guy is an idiot. I understand the traps, but the bait is UNDERGROUND. Is he concerned his dog will dig up a worm and eat it?? The battery operated devices don';t work. Some people claim that they do, but I doubt if they actually do. Castor oil works maybe 50% of the time, and it is big $$ to apply. If this guy wants to get rid of his moles you have to use Talpirid.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It must be a trend for expensive dogs to dig up everything. I've got a customer that has 2 Dobermans, 1 mini Doberman, & 1 German Sheperd [sp?]. I'm not sure on the price of the Dobermans, but his friend that is always around there went w/ him to Germany to get it & he said they dropped $65 grand on that pup. This is a good dog, but the Dobermans dig up everything. They dug up a 300' drainage tube from the house out into the field. If they managed to get some chemicals loose & the GS got a hold of it. Yikes. That'd be an earful coming my way!
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Train the dog to fetch a gray bean bag. Train the dog to catch a dead mole. Train the dog to catch a hidden or buried mole. Train dog to catch a live mole. Hire the dog.
  6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

You probably wouldn't use more than a box of worms right? What's the box weigh? There isn't enough toxin in an entire box of Talpirid to kill a 10 lb dog.

The worms are engineered (dosed) to kill a mole - not a dog.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I watch the Video and then called the 800 number. They want $ 1890.00 for 50 ft of hose and the injector device. You must supply your own gas tanks. Needless to say you would have to have one heck of a problem to purchase this device. Or you like to make things go Boom. No I am not going to make my own even if I have a Cutting torch and full gas tanks. I have filled Balloons from my torch and used TP as a fuse to get a big Bang.

BTW It was interesting watching the Videos :D
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL. And so WHAT if if we have to carry a few extra rolls of sod around with us! It DOES kind of remind me of Caddyshack, though!
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Wasn't that Carl Spackler doing the blasting in the Rodenator Video?