1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mole control?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by tjhocraf, May 8, 2007.

1. tjhocraf

tjhocraf LawnSite Member

I know there are a whole lot of ideas for mole control. My question is which works the best? I have a few clients who try to tell me what to do, but has anyone found a next to perfect solution? So far the best trick I have found is to trap them, but it is TOO time consuming. NEED SOME COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS. Thanks!

2. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

You have the best solution--just not the time. Maybe you could contact a mole trapper and tell him you will past out his cards in exchange for him doing the same. He gets more business and maybe you the same.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

To get rid of pests such as moles, eliminate their food supply, which is to say you'll likely want to get a granular insect and grub killer you can put out with a rotary spreader.

4. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

Moles also like earthworms which are good for the soil. Not sure about a lot of the chemicals for grubs, but do know that some won't kill earthworms. Therefore, you still have one of the two top choices of moles diet. In talking to one of the grub chemical manufacturers, I found out that the chemical causes grubs to go into a premature molt--therefore killing them.

5. LeifsLandscaping

LeifsLandscaping LawnSite Member

There is a product on the market called milkyspore. It is safe alternative to chemicals. It is a bacterium that is a natural predator to the larval stage Jap Beetle. The drawback is, it takes 3-5 years of application for maximum protection. But once established it can last 15-20 years.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

According to our land-grant U, about 70% of what moles eat = earthworms. We apply "Sevin" granular in April and get fairly good results. Trapping is the best method (Iowa State University), but most people aren't not very good trappers. Moles are a tough deal. Good luck.

7. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

As "redneck" as this might sound, I must hold true to my form. If I notice a property has moles, I just ask the customer if it is ok to bring out my dog. I have a 3 year old black lab and he will chase them off short of an hour. I talked to my vet about this after I noticed he was catching them, and he said that dogs can hear them under the ground. He is the best employee I have, he thinks that work is fun, never talks back and only have to pay him with water, food and some attention. I know it sounds a little crazy, but dont knock it before you try it........

8. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

How much do you charge your customers for lawn repair after he digs them up?

9. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Mostly,the only place that there will be any visible damage is where the mole tracks have already surfaced so the repair is minimal. I only do this with my full service customers. The most I have ever charged to bring the dog out, and fix the damage that he creates is ~$140..Usually a little sniffing around and known presence is enough for the moles to move out....

10. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

Usually a little sniffing around and known presence is enough for the moles to move out....
    Your kidding--right? Not trying to argue, but as a professional mole trapper--I know better. I can't disagree on the dog being able to catch some but that last statement blew my mind!