1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mole control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Athletic field, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

I have a potential customer who has a large yard 35K and as many mole tunnels all throughout it. How do you estimate mole control and what is the best product to use?

2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Product is easy. Talpirid. Try to get hold of the training DVD if you're not familiar with it.

Estimating is tough, I've always found it to be a crapshoot. It's easy when you've only got one or two easy-to-identify tunnel systems. When it's more complex I try to take my time and try to identify and separate all the different tunnel systems, and use the right number of baits per system. Don't underbid. Understand that to do it right you've got at least 3 visits to do. My minimum charge for moles last season was $100, and that's for a regular maintenance customer whose home I drive past every day. I've charged as much as $400 for a little larger property (22k).

Hope this helps.

3. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Talpirid for a while and have not seen results. Actually the other day I walked around the yard and all of the Talpirid was pushed up out of the ground. I normally have good luck catching the little bastards but I think I got a smart one this year. He always digs when Im gone, I have only seen it digging one time this year and it was right next to the patio so I couldnt smack it and dig it up.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can't touch it. They will reject it.

5. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

Even with medical type gloves? If you can't touch it, what do you touch it with?

6. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Large yard! LOL Mine is now larger then that...Hehe

But
    I have used Talpirid and the spike mole traps...both work and need to be used correctly and find the main tunnels.

Price is your call on what the area will take...

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have had this happen before. If the weather is wierd OR you are getting a lot of rain (hence a lot of worm activity up top) they don't take the bait as well.

I have found that Talparid works best when a tick on the dry side as they don't have as much food supply and take the bait better.

Talparid is fool proof if used correctly. It has become a major player in the services we offer. Last year we did a little over 80 jobs and this year we will be close to that again.

SERIOUS $$$$$$ with very little cost involved!

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I always use "medical gloves" but make sure they don't have powder and they are not scented.

9. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

I've had very much succes with the traps this year.

Have always had issues and tried everything that could be thought of then I found this:

http://www.themoleman.com/control.htm

Found the Victor scissors Out-o-sight traps on e-bay half prices and its a one time charge for the traps, use over and over.

10. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Traps work but they require a lot of work; many people do dont want to deal with the dead moles once caught. Also, how many does one want to buy, maintain, store, or haul from job to job if done commercially? That is unimportant-if you like them use them.

Many would argue with this guy's premise that nothing has changed in the last 100 years and that there are no chemical solutions to a mole problem. Talpirid is a very effective "chemical solution."