Mole crickets!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by jovanoty, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jovanoty

jovanoty LawnSite Member

Any advice how to kill mole crickets? Today i woke up and there was like 15 holes in part of my front lawn, around 450 sq f. Thanks

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

The 2 best products to kill molecrickets are Talstar and Acephate:waving:

3. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

I would wait. What you are seeing are the adults which are very difficult to control. I am in your area and we treat for them in May and June depending on weather. Try to get them when they are in the nymphal stage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jovanoty

jovanoty LawnSite Member

That what i was reading online! They freaking killing my new zoysia lawn! Anybody tried nematodes to kill the adults? Im getting bag of Talstar and i guess have to wait till may :dizzy:

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I love it when the Mis-informed try and tell the un-informed what to use. It makes my day because I ROFLMAO.

1. Talstar will only get a control of Nymphs if is slit trenched into the ground with special equipment at the proper time. About 15 years ago this was tired on Golf Courses but stopped because of cheaper and more effective Chemistry. Talstar is contact insecticide that is best used for surface feeding insects, not subterranean insects.

2. Acephate Which is a organophosphate and the cousin to Dursban, which has been ban by the EPA. Acephate no longer has a residential Turf label and hasn't for about 10 years. However Golf Courses and Sod Farms can still broad cast it. If applied at the right time mainly the spring, Acephate can control the Nymph stage of Mole Crickets.

jovanoty

At the Price of replacing a Zoysia Lawn, IMHO you would be dollars ahead to hire a Professional Pest Control company that specializes in Zoysia.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Second that. For the time and expense of establishing a zoysia lawn, it is worth getting a pro who can treat it correctly. You will need a pro anyway to treat for Rhizoctonia Large Patch.