mole mover, electronic stake

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by probello, Sep 14, 2004.

1. probello

probello LawnSite Member

I puchased 10-Mole Mover Electronic Stakes for 1 acre, now I am wandering how to place them. I read on one post when treating with some chemicals it is best to do 20 foot strips at a time so the moles have an exit route.

Has anyone used these? Should I put one down at a time to chase the moles where I want them to go? Will the mice go into my house now?

Thanks, Tricia

2. probello

probello LawnSite Member

I have a big mole/gopher problem "I have both" they are going under my above groud pool. I have tried everything but these sound wave things. I put in three of my ten tonight (it took me an hour a hole). I live in Kansas and the ground is hard, we had 40 mph winds today, 96 degrees outside. If you want tumbleweeds I will sure sell them to you.

What I did was I worked on the holes and finally put the electronic stick in, then I watered a path witch I hope they take to get out of my yard (to State Property).

They are also going under our barn (lean-to).
    I cannot use any more chemicals. I have done the grub thing, but without water I am screwed. We are out of water here. We have the traps, we catch maybe one a week, it is 20 I need to catch.

help?
    I think I am doing the right thing, I will let you know how it turns out.

Tricia :gunsfirin
    NRA rulls

3. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Trapping is the only way to get rid of moles. Nothing else works as well. I wish that weren't the case, since trapping takes effort and patience, but it's true. I've struggled with a mole problem for about 6 years and tried everything, but the problem gradually got worse. I started trapping a few weeks ago and have caught 6 so far.
    Good information here:

http://www.themoleman.com/

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Scissor-jaw traps set in a major runway are the only dependable control, unless you have a mole-catching cat.

The use of traps is probably the most effective control method for moles. Traps should be placed across active tunnels. Active tunnels are usually somewhat straight and connect other tunnels or soil mounds. Feeding tunnels tend to be meandering and winding and commonly make a dead end without
    connecting with another tunnel. Feeding tunnels are the paths where the mole traveled during feeding and will be unlikely to be reused. Thus a trap placed across a feeding tunnel will not usually catch a mole. Active tunnels can be identified by mashing down a few inches of each tunnel and marking them with a flag or stick. Moles can repair and rebuild the active tunnels within a few days. The trap can be placed across a mashed down portion of an active tunnel. As the mole tries to repair the tunnel, the
    trap will be sprung and the mole killed by the trap. Most turf areas will contain only one or two moles even though the tunneling may be quite extensive. Live traps are also available to trap the animals for transport to another area. Federal, state and local wildlife management ordinances need to be observed whenever doing any wildlife trapping or other controls are used.
    Source:
    http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/hortihints/0106a.html

This link will offer more on traps
    http://www.molepro.com/products/trap_comparison.htm

:waving: