Mole problem

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by GreenImage, Nov 7, 2007.

1. GreenImage

GreenImage LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of an effective way to get rid of moles?
    I have customer whose lawn has been tore up by huge mole hills for a while.
    It makes it a pain to mow leveling all of them first.
    I tried the pellets but did not work.
    Thanks

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

only thing i know that really works are traps, and they are smart little suckers, they learn about the traps after a while...

have to find the main tunnels, not the feeder ones, but the traps in the main tunnels

3. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

I use a produt called "Milky Spores". Basically it kills the food that the moles eat. Thus.....no more moles...very good. Its a 4 times a year for 2 years application... Had a lot of success with it though.

Chuck

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

In this area, moles are only present if the lawn has grubs. Eliminate the grubs, and the moles go away. Basically the same answer as bigclawman gave above. The licensed applicators around here use Merit or Dylox.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Finally someone who knows how to get rid of moles:cool2:

6. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

talparid...its a fake worm that the moles will eat and it kills them...i have never used it but i hear that it is extremely effective...u just put the worm in the tunnel

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

NOW we're talking....... Getting rid of grubs does NOT rid the lawn of moles. I treat dozens of lawns for moles that have NO sign of grub activity.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Because they ate them all up Joe:hammerhead:

9. GreenImage

GreenImage LawnSite Member

so whats your strategy. the worms?

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm baffled, my parents have moles real bad. I've tried Talpirid, and getting rid of the grubs. My mom tried all kinds of natural methods including chewing spearmint gum and dropping it in the holes. (Rutgers Extension told her that) Nothing has worked. My last idea is to call a trapper.