1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mole question for you guys

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Nov 2, 2013.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Guys I'm usually pretty good about trapping the ones that dare come in my yard now, no problems but I'm recently having a ton of intruders and evading the traps almost like one tunnel and move on.

Here's the thing, they are coming from my neighbors yard (Yes that one) and what I want to know is if this has anything to do with the moles moving to my yard; she has bottles, stuck upside down in the ground, could be in the mole run I don't know and she has these bottles every 10 to 12 inches apart all the way up and down the property line :confused:

From beer bottles to salad dressing bottles, anything glass she can stick upside down? Is this some old folk lore for moles or does anyone know what the dam bottles are for?

Thanks in advance.

2. kgs1

kgs1 LawnSite Member

Think maybe she's a little crazy!!! Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. kirk1701

A little?
    No I know she's a lot crazy that's a fact.

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I sometimes use clear gallon plastic bottles filled with water, placed around the lawn to keep racoons off my lawn. It does work. Otherwise at this time of year I have droppings all over. One year I picked up fifty-two piles left over a two week period. I set out the bottles when I cleaned it all up and it completely stopped their defecating on my lawn. The problem stems from a few neighbors with old ramshackled sheds that harbour multiple families of the varmints.

She may be trying to keep spirits away though. Does she have a mirror on her front door? :dizzy:

5. kirk1701

LOL 44DCNF. No raccoons here that I know of and no mirrors.

All the bottles I see are glass. Mason Jars to beer bottles but all glass.

6. 44DCNF

I think the idea of the bottles is it create a distraction at a critters eye level, and I don't think it's specific to coons...it creates a change in their recognized surroundings that puts them on alert. She might be using it for the same reason to deter skunks, squirrels, the moles, etc, not realizing most animals will quickly adapt to new surroundings.

Or it's due to she's just nutz.

7. 44DCNF

Now I believe it's just the latter. Get a load of THIS

8. kgs1

kgs1 LawnSite Member

Yep, crazy a** voodoo sh**!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 44DCNF

This reply of mine was in referrence to the gallon jugs I put out, not the bottles the witch queen used.

10. kirk1701

I was wondering which one you were referring to in that link, LOL.

But I told you she was crazy so yea, voo doo had already crossed my mind and I wonder if she has a doll of me sometimes :laugh: