Mole Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mattm1962, Nov 9, 2007.

1. mattm1962

mattm1962 LawnSite Member

I have seen mole runs in my backyard for several months. Up until the last couple of weeks or so they seemed to be confined to a natural area constising mainly of scrub oaks and a pinestraw mulch. Now it looks like they have migrated into the turfgrass (centipede). I know they eat grubs and earthworms... and so far there is now sign of any grub damage to the centipede. If I pull up some turf and don't find any grubs, are the moles themselves anything to worry about? Aside from the annoying trails, will they damage the grass? And if I find grubs, what's the best insecticide to apply this time of year? Thanks!!

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Moles typically stay in shaded areas or mulched areas because they hold moisture (which is where there food source is).

Moles main food source is earth worms (as you mentioned). Don't worry about the grubs....unless they are causing damage to your lawn.

Yes the moles can damage your lawn by uprooting the grass and killing it off. Plus when they make conical mounds they look bad, kill your grass and are not good on mower blades.

Buy some Talparid and in a few days you will get rid of your moles.

3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, talprid works well, have used it several times this year. Best part I like, it went to restricted use in NY this year, only us licensed guys can get it.:) :)

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Wish they would do that in OH!

The mole business has been a great addition to the services I already offer. I have even picked up some new lawn accounts just by doing mole control.

Bell Labs is selling it in our local stores now as MOTMOCO (spelling?) and it has affected my mole buisness. I have talked to them about it....but they could care less.

Ticks me off a little but I know they are in business to make money also....but I had one guy buy it in the store and I still ended up getting his business!

You still have to know how to use it.

What are you getting for an app up there?

5. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Bell Labs is selling it in our local stores now as MOTMOCO (spelling?) and it has affected my mole buisness. I have talked to them about it....but they could care less.

There is also another company selling it too, can't remember the name off-hand. The prices were comparable to Talphrid. What I want to know is who really invented it. The Talphrid people claim to be the inventors but yet other companies are selling it. Hopefully the price will go down. I currently pay $50 for a box of 20.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Bell Labs is the inventor of the bait (Talparid). They just market it under a different name in the store (Montmoco).

If you buy 5 boxes at a time you can get it for closer to $38.00/box.

7. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

MOLEY MOLEY MOLEY

MOLE

PS Sorry.

8. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Excellent traps are available but you have to know yur varment! If all fails Killum!

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The stuff in the stores under a different name is NOT from Bell abs. It is a knock off with a lesser a.i.. It is labeled as Tomcat - by Motomco. On the Motomco site, it is labeled different (they have other Tomcat rodent products) but is the same thing. Motomco uses their own formulation. I'm not sure what the retail price on this stuff is, but it WAS selling for around (just over) 4 bucks per dose.

10. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

When I looked at the AI of the off brands they were the same as Talphrid?

And yes Tomcat was the other. I knew it had cat in the name somewhere.