mole repellant?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mbricker, Jul 6, 2006.

1. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had any positive results from mole repellants?

There are several available, some are granules that are applied by spreader, and some are castor-oil based that you mix with water and spray.

I did a search back 6 months and found a lot of info about trapping, and killing with something called Talparid, nothing about repellants. Been trapping moles on my own property for about 4 years but more just keep coming in. Have woods on 2 sides, pasture on another side, and a neighbor who couldn't care less about his lawn on the 4th side. (I have never wanted to try to get rid of customers' moles because it seems so time consuming. But after reading about Talparid I might reconsider.)

I used to have a live-and-let-live attitude about the little pests, but my lawn is almost all sloped, and a few years ago I started to realize that after the moles have worked up some of the yard and we get a good rain, a good bit of my topsoil has gone down the hill.

The mole repellant I have found that looks like the easiest to use is an oil that comes in a 1-quart bottle that is also a hose end sprayer. I plan on trying it even if no one here has had experience with it.
  2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I don't know anything about repellants. But before you spend a whole bunch of money on Taliprid, try juicy fruit gum. Worked great for me. You use it just like Taliprid. My Lesco guy told me about it. I'd like to know about a repelant too.
  3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

What does it do to them?
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It rots their teeth. :laugh: In all seriousness, the juicyfruit thing is a 20 year old fallacy. If any moles went away, it was PURELY coincidental. This is an old fable, and has been proven not to work. Talpirid right now is one of the best things on the market.
  5. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

6. mbricker

From my own mole wars, I know that moles move into and out of an area frequently. I can roll (or stomp) down some tunnels, and they may be raised back up (showing a mole has gone thru) within an hour or 3 weeks later.

Ideally, if you could get all the moles out of an area, then an effective repellant would only have to be applied around the perimeter of that area. The moles, on reaching the treated band, would turn away from it.

I did try a granule repellant called "Chase" by Preferred Products of Florence, KY. I got it thru a mail order garden supply outfit. I cannot see that it has done any good. I put it on all around the perimeter of my yard in a band varying from 20 to 40 feet wide. It has been watered in as per the directions. My spreading rate was slightly higher than the directions call for. It was applied about 7 weeks ago.

I plan on requesting a refund for this product. I have had moles frequently come into the treated band from neighboring property and work their way back and forth in the beds that are in part of the treated area. They seem to be feeding normally without being disturbed in the least. In one part of my yard they have crossed thru the treated area repeatedly to the untreated part of my yard, and then back. I know their movements from patrolling my yard frequently and repeatedly stomping down the tunnels, then watching to see which ones re-appear.

The best success I have had in getting rid of moles is when I actually see the dirt movement where they are active. Then I whack the booger with a garden mattock. My trapping has been hit and miss. Placement of the traps is tricky. I have actually watched a mole working its way under and around a Victor Out of Sight trap without triggering it.

This mole situation has taken WAAAAY too much of my time, and because of the new ones that come in from neighbors, I know I can never get them all. Tht is why I am looking for an effective repellant. Thanks to anyone who has any info that has worked for them.
  7. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

Talpirid worked for me.

I visited the property 3 times used 5 worms, and made a nice profit.

The homeowner was so thankful that the price did not bother him.

We now market the service.
  8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

With the environmental factors that you described (wooded areas on booth sides with a pasture on another) I think I have a sure-fire way to rid yourself of the mole problem....move. Seriously, I've talked with several pest-Gurus over the past 25 plus years in this business and it sounds like your property is a custom made mole colony.
    I have heard of every kind of snake-oil remedy known to man, Juicy Fruit chewing gum (maybe your mole has a hankerin' for Big Red or Double Bubble), Women's Hair from a brush, Poison Peanuts, Castor oil and all it's derivitives, rythmic thumping devices (try Rap, it works like Kryptonite on me) even firing up the old pickup truck and snaking a exhaust pipe into the ground. They are all equally effective. While Talpirid shows some promise I would be a bit anxious if your pet, or the neighbors pet decides to excavate and consume a mole loaded with a rodenticide that causes internal hemorrhaging, and a almost certain quick demise. I still prefer using multiple traps and check them often. If one of the new methods does show better than average control (70% or greater) I'll invest heavily and retire to some tropical island and hire the locals to catch all the varmints in my lawn.
  9. mbricker

Yeah, pets. That's the main reason I am not using the common spear type mole traps. I figure either my or my neighbors' cats are likely to get a paw in one sooner or later, and I don't like hearing either cats or cat owners howling in pain.

As far as moving, well, I can put up with a lot of moles before I would go that far. But thanks.
  10. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

Talparid, Talparid, Talparid.

Had moles so bad on a 22 acre athletic complex that it sometimes looked like the fields had just been plowed. Constant complaints for 20 years. The guys before me trapped, we trapped, we tried chewing gum, castor oil, off the shelf baits. Nothing worked. The moles were terrible.

Heard about Talparid and bought a case of it. Did first application this winter in February. Second application late April. In May, we had two hills show up...close together so probably the same mole. Treated those two hills and have had none since. Went from literally hundreds of tunnels to none in less than 3 months.

I keep a pack of the stuff on my truck and will treat if any more show up but so far so good.

I love talparid almost as much as I love roundup and surflan for cutting down on the time we spend weedwacking.