Mole trapping advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got four customers who border each other who share some serious mole problems. They total approx 3/4 acre and there are 7 mole tunnels on the property. I bought a trap and followed the directions (locate active tunnel, depress tunnel entrance, set trap and wait for the mole to tunnel out), but I am not having any luck. I'm thinking that maybe the trap is scaring them away or something. I've been trying all weekend and haven't caught one. I've been setting the traps and waiting about 8 hrs or so. No success. All the locations where i've set the traps appear to be inactive since setting the trap.

Any advice for success?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Try this. First find a few of their runs that they've made. Then step on the runs and mark them with a small wire flag. Go back in a few days and find out which runs have been pushed back up. The ones that are pushed up are the ones the moles are currently using. Get a few good harpoon traps and set them on the runs that have been identified as being used.

This should help you eliminate the moles and make your customers think youer a genius.
  4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it takes a while to catch those critters. I have caught 6 on one property in 1 week but I was trapping that property for over a year without a single kill. For somereason that week they moved heavy and hit the traps. I just caught one last week at another property and have been trapping it for 8 months. I always set out min 3 traps or more depending on activity level. Other times I have caught moles the next day. It is a waiting game and a game of strategy. watch for the active tunnels and pray.
  5. MasonGrey

MasonGrey LawnSite Member

I've heard that moles love Juicy Fruit gum but they can't digest it. A guy told me one time to put a couple of pieces in various places throughout the tunnels and they should be gone in about a week. That was last spring and I haven't seen the little rascals since. Worth a try for 25 cents a pack!
  6. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Here in South Jersey you cant use the harpoon type trap-you must use the one that sqeezes them to death(scissor type?)-because of the sandy soil the harpoon type pops out of the grond-I tell customers to get an exterminater-I dont have time to check traps-Harry
  7. Coral Isle Gardens

Coral Isle Gardens LawnSite Member

Try placing a coffee can or the like in the middle of their trail ,,, they wont be able to climb out and it seems to work well.
  8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick a garden hose down the hole and drown them!:D

10. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest