Mole Trapping-What to Charge$$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coachtmoore, Mar 13, 2003.

1. coachtmoore

coachtmoore LawnSite Member

What do you charge customers to remove moles with traps? I was think either by a per/mole basis or by a weekly monitoring fee? I need some figures to go by. Thanks.

2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

HEHEHE, a per mole basis.:D LMAO

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's funny. I got all choked up.

Good luck, those little suckers are almost impossible to catch.

4. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

If you can find a productive way to trap moles you won't need to do anything else but bring in the $$$. Is it me or do those suckers seem to be getting worse by the year. I've tried traping with little success and I don't want to use any peticide to kill the grub because I have a well I ue for water and don't want to kill the good critters "Night crawler, Earthworm, ect.". The best way I've found in ee one working get out the shotgun and BOOOOM!

5. To put mole traps out commercially (getting paid) you will need to be licensed in wild life control.

Traps, find the main run tunnel.

There are a few co's around here charging $49.99 a mole.

6. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

What style off traps do you prefer to use?

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Control of vertebrate pests in landscapes can be licensed depending on your state. If the pest is any type of game species, regulated by state hunting laws, you may need special permission to trap, even live trapping, from your area conservation officer. Sometimes this is just a verbal OK from the officer (again depends on your state).

The bible of wildlife control is Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage, joint effort of Univ of NE and USDA. It covers almost 100 wildlife species. The book is currently out of print, but is published in entirety on the web at http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook/ . It was also published on CD-ROM, and a few of them are available at http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/showPage.shtml?menuID=966800293 .

Pricing for any animal depends on the time involved. I have learned how to trap, and can usually get the mole in one setting of trap. Best time was 8-10 minutes after setting (wish it was always so easy, LOL). For regular maintenance clients, I only charge $20-30 per mole, because I want my properties to look good. For anyone else, price would be double or triple. I teach homeowners how to do it themselves for $35-50, depending on time involved.

What to use? I like the spear traps, but the newer Victor's seem to have shorter spears than the ones from 15 years ago. The Victor Out-O-Sight for deeper running moles is also used. I don't care for the choker type traps, but some others I know have good success with them. Main trick is to learn the biology of your target, just like with weeds, insects and diseases, and all you need for wildlife is in the above mentioned handbook.

8. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

GET RID OF THE GRUBS!!!!!!! The moles will go away!! Moles are like the road runner, just cant be caught...If ya stick a whole bunch a traps everywhere and dont catch any what are ya gonna tell the customer?

I tell the customers "the reason you have a mole problem is quite simple...you have grubs..I will kill the grubs for you an the moles will look elsewhere" I explain to them that I will have to maintain the grub control or they will return.....Need I say more?
    :drinkup:

9. The best way to control something is to learn about it.

Moles eat worms, grub is a delicacy. Getting rid of the grub is not a 100% solution. There is no 100% solution, if there was, some one would be an instant millionaire.

Jim will post some links to a site on moles I am sure.

You must learn it's habit.

10. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

Just not valid