Mole troubles

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by driveshaft06, Mar 31, 2008.

1. driveshaft06

driveshaft06 LawnSite Member

how in the heck do ya get rid of em.??? ive heard ya have to kill the food source (grubs and worms) but i need expert advice....what do ya apply and how much??? thanks in advance.....:confused:

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tried everything, but I have been experimenting with these sonic spikes. So far so good. I bought them at Lowes in the two pack for $27.00. I put them where the moles tunnel the most in my yard and so far no new tunnels. If they keep working this well, I will go back and get some for the back and side of the house.

http://www.bizrate.com/pestcontrol/oid559332026__start--40.html

3. Heatman

Heatman LawnSite Member

4. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I grew up in the country and every so often we would get a mole that decided to hole up in the front yard.

I learned to go around with a waterhose and stick it in their holes, methodically. Eventually the little peckers will come up looking for some air. Pick em up and do what you have to do with em.

Redneck style lol

5. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

I feel your pain - all of a sudden I seem to have a mole and a vole problem and these little bastards are tearing up my lawn. From what I have found the moles can be identified by the mounds of dirt they leave behind and the voles are identified by there open tunnels in the yard.

I must have a pretty active vole problem as one wet area of the lawn has close to a hundered vole tunnels - on the other side there must be 2 dozen mole mounds. I need to kill these f#$#$#! I went to the store and they gave me some repellant made from castor oil - that didn't really help so I need somthing more drastic to kill them - a good dose of poison or something. I'm a real novice at this so trapping doesn't seem feasible for me - but dammit they piss me off. My neighbors have them too so I am afraid that if I get rid of them they will just go there and keep coming back to me!

6. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

juicy fruit!

7. gro2mow

gro2mow LawnSite Member

I have had very good luck with Chase's Mole Control for the past two years. It is made with caster oil. After applying to my front yard last year I noticed the mole mounds moved to my backyard. Then continued to apply wherever they went. This is the first year with no mole mounds, but not in my neighbors. Ha ha.

It needs to be applied every 2-3 months during the growing season. I have been using the granular with a hand spreader for ease of use. I get the 32# bag for about $65. It lasts me all season. Also comes in a liquid if you wish to spray on. You need to reapply each season or they will probably be back.

I never had much luck with Talpirid. I would get so mad I would chase them with the mower. Got a few that way, too. I've got some great ruts from past moles. Every time it rains the dirt gets sucked down the holes. Not sure how you go about filling them other than getting out a roto tiller and then reseeding.

8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Treat the lawn for grubs first if you have them. Next check with Lesco for mole bait. Works great!!!

9. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

Had a wild life control guy over who is taking a 3 prong approach to these damn moles - first he is gassing the holes with a sulpher gas, then he is laying some talprid and third will be some traps. Hopefully between all 3 of these he is able to get rid of them. Also, I purchased some grub treatment that I will put down myself the first week of May.

10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Any guarantee?