moles and grubs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaussigLawnCare, Apr 7, 2003.

1. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a yard that they want me to get rid of the moles. Whats the best way to do that they also say that they are living off the grubs which I need to take care of but thats not till later in the season I beleive. Any tips welcome.

2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Victory mole traps for the moles.

You need a pesticide license for the grubs.

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

There is a thread in the Homeowner's Assistance Forum discussing the same subject. Trapping is the best method, but if the homeowner doesn't want to kill the moles you have to come up with some other method.

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You can get rid of the grubs and still have moles. I used to have mole problems on golf course in MN where grubs were not a problem (before the Japanese beetle invasion of the late 90s). Frequent monitoring to determine which tunnels were active in combination with traps worked very well.
    I currently maintain a lawn in MI that has major mole problem but no grubs. It is adjacent to power line right of way. If I get rid of the moles in the lawn they're still present in the right of way and will move into the lawn eventually. An endless battle.

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The connection between grubs and moles is an old wives tale. Yes, moles and many other animals like grubs (even some human cultures, LOL - they must taste good!), but how does the mole survive when there are no grubs?????

Don't repeat this story until you have trapped and examined the stomach contents of a few dozen moles, at different times of year. And then you wouldn't repeat the story because you'd know the main part of a mole's diet is earthworms.

For mole control, start at: http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-10.pdf