1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mole's and the elimination

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slowleak, May 4, 2003.

1. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

what would you guys use to kill moles ?thanks kevin
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Shotguns work good...
    Dinamite would make short work of getting rid of them, and you could get some extra work cleaning up the mess...

I have found that trapping works for me. I set the trap in the long run, sometimes it will have to be moved, but they always seem to find the trap eventually. I have seen pest control companies that are licenced in fumigants use pellets that turn to gas in the ground and kill them. but that is expensive as he$$..
    Here is some more on moles
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you have moles, you probably have grubs as well. Moles go after and eat grubs. Get rid of the grubs and you will evenutually get rid of the moles.

Another thing is birds go after moles. Before you know, stand around and you'll see black birds and blue jays dive bombing the area where you have moles. It's comical as hell to watch (unless it's your lawn) LOL. The birds will even start to tear at the grass to get to the moles.

Guess it's all part of the food chain...
  4. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

I tryed castor oil and water in a sprayer with just a few drops of soap to emusify it. .....works great
  5. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Turfguy is on it;I also use a cayenne pepper liquid as part of the potion.Soak cayenne peppers and put the liquid in your sprayer.
  6. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

thank you for the tip .kevin
  7. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

Rodfather, having moles does not mean that you have grubs for sure. Moles eat earthworms, and other insects as well.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly.... and getting rid of the grubs will not get rid of the moles. This is one of the most common myths and most popular misconceptions there is about moles.
  9. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

after 100 or so hours listening to the guy at the exstension services blab on about blue tailed bolwebels in detroit this was the only thing I learned in IPM class
  10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of people rage about moles and grubs. Lots of others think drowning, gassing, castor oiling, or some other means is the way to control moles. Last week my stepdaughter was so peeved about the mole in her yard, she tamped all the tunnels down and sat there with a digging fork until she saw the ground being heaved up again. One more forked mole, LOL.

kevin, to get real info on moles, go to:

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-10.pdf , and

For true info on many wildlife pests, check out: http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook/ , which the document immediately above comes from.

And actually, the "kill the grubs, get rid of the moles" story originated in the early half of the 20th century. If you had grubs, you used a metallic(?) compound as an insecticide, and this treatment killed all life in the soil. So yes, the moles left because there was nothing left to eat. Today, grub controls do not harm so much of soil life, so there are plenty of earthworms, beetles and such left for the moles to eat. And those who have trapped and dissected many dozens of moles will tell you that they find mostly earthworms in the moles stomach. For anyone who pushes the grub story, did you ever wonder what the moles eat mid-June to mid-August when there are hardly any grubs in the ground????

Grubs are actually a delicacy to many mammals - moles, raccoons, skunks, birds, bears, and probably many others. There is even a human culture in the Polynesian area that serves grubs only on very special feasts. Buggers must taste good, LOL.