1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Moles and Varmints

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Captain, Oct 13, 2003.

1. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the mid west (St.Louis area) I've been seeing more damage than in past years from what we used to commonly call moles. Has anyone else been having problems with 'moles'? or some other kind of burrowing critter this fall?
    They are in turf areas, flower beds, shrub areas, they're all over. They follow curbs, foundations fence lines, almost anything. Not just on residential property's but commercial sites as well.
    Does anyone have a suggestions, other than the old fashion traps? I usually do more damage to myself than the varmints,
    when I try to set the traps out.:confused:
    My customers and I (the critters have made my lawn theirs too,)need some help with this. :mad::mad:
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the moles are really active this year...couple of different techniques to use, but none have been 100% effective
    baits (pellets)
    spearment gum
    hotsauce, chilli powder, and laundry detergant

There is one neighborhood that I service 5 lawns right beside one another and the mole problem there has been going on in one house in particular for over 4 years.

If you find anything that will work great, let me know.
  3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

moles really have been bad this year,a few things i;ve heard that work are:

spearmint gum
    flood holes with water or moth balls
    and a dog running around in yard moves mole out of area
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

There are a lot of good ways to get rid of moles as listed above. For the long term, you need to also look at whats feeding the moles. Some bulbs like tulips etc., offer food as well as grubs. If you can control some of these food sources, like using cages for bulbs and controlling grubs, you can reduce the nimber of moles. Or...get a cat! Mine usually bring home about 2 moles on any given night! Cheap Labor!!!LOL
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the problem with moles is that their main diet is earthworms
  6. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a product I found that may help. Click image for link.