Moles!!!! How to get rid of them???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ludicrous Speed, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed LawnSite Member

Since I have lived here, there has been a mole or two on the property. I used some more repellant and it seemed to work for a while, but as the summer went on, they came back and became more destructive.

I put down more repellant, but it just seemed to piss them off and now that we have had uncommonly heavy rain, there are spots in my yard that are like a swamp. The moles have gone nuts and are destroying everything!

Short of getting up and sitting around with a shovel, is there something I can put down to kill them or drive them off???

2. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing that works are traps. That way u know u killed them. I have
    tried everything and u just don't know if its working.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

First, are you sure that you have moles? Lots of people here think they have moles but actually have pocket gophers. Go online and look at some pics; search mole damage and gopher damage. Once you've identified the problem, go to Lesco. A lot of guys like Talprid for moles. I have had great success with Omega grain gopher bait for gophers. Follow the instructions whichever problem you have.

4. Ludicrous Speed

Thanks for the quick replies!

I am sure that it is not gophers, as they are not in this area. The only thing we have is ground hogs and they are HUGE..... These little @#$%^&*s have tunnelled all over the damn place.

I thought I found a live tunnel earlier in the fall. stomped it down, and it came back up in a day. Same thing next day. I tried to set a homemade trap, but the tunnel was not used any more.

I will try Lesco and see what is on there.

5. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

What ever u try you will need to find a tunnel that is beeing used. Push it down and mark the spot and wait to see if comes back up. Alot of the
    tunnels are just tunnels looking for food and may never use them again.

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember that you will need a vertebrae pest license to control that problem. Most people think that turf covers moles but thats not true.(at least not in my state).
    I have had great success with Talprid by Bell Labs for moles.

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried mole bait but it seemed to make them more aggressive. I ordered some artificial worms from Lesco that should be in this week. I will let you know how they work.

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats Talprid and it works great. Like I said before you need a different cat if you are using it. Your state could be different though.

9. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

We had moles for years on 20+ acres of athletic fields. Some areas almost looked like they were freshly plowed from all the tunnels.

Nothing worked. Driving over tunnels, gum, Tried all the baits. Sprayed castor oil, even put up "owl houses" hoping to attract some owls. We trapped and cought 3 or 4 a day sometimes. But they kept coming.

Just over a year ago I heard about Talparid, a new bait that looks, tastes, and feels like earthworms. Moles eat earthworms almost exclusively.

It took three applications over about 2 months and they're gone. I mean gone!

I still keep a box on my truck just in-case I see a new tunnel but haven't yet.

I'm not a brand loyal kind of guy and I don't like hype for new gadgets much. But this is one exception. Talparid works!

It's a bit involved to do it right, poke holes, wait a few days for moles to fill in holes, insert worms with gloved hands, poke more holes. Takes a few weeks. But did I mention that it works?

10. Ludicrous Speed

What do you mean by poke holes and wait for them to be filled in?