1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Moles & Voles

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by swstranger, Aug 12, 2007.

1. swstranger

swstranger LawnSite Member
    from MN

Last winter moles/voles did a number on parts of my lawn. Going into this winter I need to be proactive to try stop these critters this time around.

My backyard borders a pond and a lot of tall grass so maybe it's impossible to stop them.

Searching online there are a zillion so-called remedies. Last year I did apply a repellent that obviously didn't work. Suggestions?
  2. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

liquid fence mole and vole try a lesco or big box store

p.s. wasn't that pic post before for a fert burn
  3. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

keep the grass short for the winter
  4. swstranger

swstranger LawnSite Member
    from MN

Yes had fertilizer burn, this is a few weeks later after it thankfully recovered.
  5. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... This is what was suggested to me: http://www.gemplers.com/pestmgmt/wildlifecontrol/mole/g77900.html

.... I have an electric fence installed around my large garden for the larger animals and it works just fine. Never did I ever think I would have a problem with MOLES but I do this year. They have torn up my cantaloupes BAD (BIG Time). Maybe this devise will help you. It's suppose to cover about a 1 and 1/3 of an acre and uses 4 “D” cell batters :(.

Wish you the best.

6. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

Better stick to traps--leave the vibrators for someone else to throw their money away.
  7. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been thinking about getting a cat..
  8. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

I heard they love juciey fruit.:confused:
  9. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

In essence, glueing their tiny mouths shut or clogging up their digestive tract to prevent them from intaking nourishment. I've also heard that it doesn't work. I have one of those spring loaded spiked traps that you place over an active tunnel. It's effective but they key is to locate an active tunnel.
  10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

For moles, the spring loaded traps and the poison worms called Talprid are really the only effective measures. For voles, peanut butter in mouse snap traps or mouse bait stations with one of the Bell Labs controls or something similar is the only way to get control. They both breed very heavily and can invade an area and destroy turf or plants, depending on the species. Moles will primarily eat earthworms and grubs, while voles eat plant material. Voles will eat the roots of many plants and can also girdle small trees or shrubs.

The home remedies are ineffective. The windmills, vibrators, chewing gum & glass in the tunnels. The only way to control these pests is to eliminate them. The castor oil sprays will move them away from an area, but they will take up residence somewhere else and return as soon as the castor oil become ineffective.