Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Drivefaster35, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Ok guys I know its been asked a lot but I need some help on Moles and the search's i've made havent quit given me the insurance to go for it. I've never delt with moles before but I have a lady that has a bad mole infestaton and she really wants something done NOW!! and get ride of them whats the best to use to get rid of them now and for good Merit? Talpirid? Dylox? I know she's had problems with them in teh past and wants them goone now thanks in advance for any help..:waving:
  2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Dylox and Merit will get rid of grubs, which are indeed a mole food source, but they will not get rid of earthworms, which are another mole food source. It's an old wives' tale that getting rid of grubs = no moles. They are insectivores that will eat anything that's crawling around down there.

Talpirid is the way to go, although I have heard people make a case for trapping. I suppose if you get good at it, trapping can be effective. I'm tempted to try it myself. I'm doing some mole control this afternoon with Talpirid. It's effective, no mess, and it pays pretty well. What more can you ask for?
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

First get to know the pest here
    After you have read everything here, re-read it so you know the limitation of traps and baits.
    Traps, Talpirid, & Tomcat (same product as Talpirid but less expensive) all work for control, but only for control. I'd bet money there is a woods or tree line bordering the property.
  4. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

its a small group of houses surrounded by trees and woods
  5. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, rather than applying a toxic "Something", how about a repellant........Bobcat or Red Fox urine will work well in your area......cause its true gettin rid of only the grubs isnt gonna do it for you......:usflag:
  6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Merit and Dylox will indeed kill earthworms. They arent labled as such but thats a payoff somewhere at the Dept of me.

Talparid does work.
  7. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

I like Talparid. Had good kills and always carefully cut a chunk of sod over run, set the bait after fixing any interuptions,then replace the sod over the bait and stick a flag on each location.
  8. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

you need to go out and pee on the lawn at midnight during a full moon and singing warewolves of london helps sometimes:headphones:
  9. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

The only true way of getting rid of moles is to trap them. I added mole trapping to my services last year and made some descent money doing it. I had a contract where I recieved $50.00 -$100.00 up front, depending on location. For every mole that I trapped out I charged an additional $25.00. Depending on your location, you may be able to charge alot more. This is the going rate in my area. I signed on 25 accounts and took out around 125 moles last year. This is just setting the traps and checking them a couple times a week. Easy money if you ask me. I did all my trapping withing 5 minutes of my house.
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Take a stick and some marking flags. Go around the area and poke holes in the mole tunnels, marking them as you go. Monitor daily for 3 days. The holes that are fixed by the moles in that time are the main feeder tunnels. Bait those holes with talpirid. Your mole problems will be gone.