Moles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by twoseven, May 4, 2006.

1. twoseven

twoseven LawnSite Member
    from TN

Hello to everyone , hope this is the right place to post this , im new here , just a homeowner trying to get rid of moles , my yard is ruined with moles can someone help me get rid of these ? , what to buy ? what are they eating ? i havnt seen any grubs in my lawn so i dont know why i have so many. i just didnt want to spend alot of money on products that dont work , so if anyone knows what i can buy to get rid of these moles and their food source please let me know , thanks very much. by the way i have 2 acres of yard and killed 10 moles so far with a shovel and rolled the yard down and still everyday i come home to 4 or 5 tunnel spots all over my yard. i have no clue how many i actually have but its getting bad .

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Mole's main diet is earthworms, they will eat about any insect that falls into their run. there is a product called Talprid, its looks like a earth worm. you place it in their runs and the moles eat it and there history! its works very good, if you have a Lesco store near you can get it there. it will run about $50 for a box of 20 worms. you need to follow the directions and you will get good results.

3. twoseven

twoseven LawnSite Member
    from TN

ok , now what can i buy to get rid of the food source ? im hoping to keep them away for good after i get rid of them , thanks again

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you could use merit to help with the grubs, but I don't think you would want to eliminate the earthworms! they are very beneficial to the soil.

5. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone here will tell you you cant kill earthworms en masse enough to get rid of moles.

The real truth is you can and fairly easoly, but you get even more mole damage as a result because they are freaking out looking for fresh food.

Dylox will kill earthworms and so does Merit. Sevin probably does, and lots of old school products kill them if you even mention their names to an earthworm....

You need to roll your lawn bigtime with at least an 800 pound roller to flatten it out and make it safe. Then...and only then can you determine what the hell is going on.

You can treat what you think are active main trails in an infested yard and get some control, but trust me....roll it, and watch for trails to pop up.

You need to roll it anyhow if its as bad as you say....even if you dont treat the moles.

6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Merit kills earthworms.

7. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

hey killswitch are you saying @rate merit and dylox will kill earth worms and if so where is you data from thanks dan

8. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If you kill their food, they will forage further and do more damage.

Taliprid kils the moles. There have been lots of mole poisons on the market for years that do not work AT ALL!!! Moles don't eat them at all.

Talpirid is fairly new and it works.

I've got about 20 acres of athletic fields that were always having lots of mole damage. This year, I discovered talpirid and used it.

I did one application in March, waited a couple of weeks for new damage and did another one. A month later I had only two locations with new damage (as opposed to too many to count). I treated those two areas. We have had NO complaints of moles in a month. We used to get calls from somebody every day from March through November.

Talpirid works.