moles!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snowjeep, Jan 4, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have a property with 20 dirt mounds from moles. I treated with poison worms, does not seem to be working. Would grub-ex work this time of year? Working in Buffalo,NY.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Grub-ex has nothing to do with your mole population. And no, Grub-ex is NOT intended for this time of year. If you used the worms, where did yoyu purchase them? What brand are they?

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Are you 100% positive you have moles and not gophers? You mention "mounds" and that usually indicates gophers, as moles generally leave tunnels or runs pushed up all around the lawn, especially along fences or hard surfaces. However, during winter the moles DO tunnel more deeply and sometimes do just push up mounds from their tunnles.

This is the MOST common mistake made with mole control, and we can thank Scott's and other homeowner chemical companies for BRAIN WASHING everyone into thinking that moles only eat GRUBS and that if you buy their chemical to control grubs you will run off the moles. Moles do eat grubs, but it olny accounts for something like 15 to 20 percent of their diet. Their main sourse is earthworms, and there's not legal way to get rid of those.

The "poision worms" do work well (Talparid) and thanks to the geniouses at the chem. company there, they are now available for anyone to purchace either at a local gardel supply or online. You do need to take the time to put them in the runs correctly though. The instructions are pretty specific, and their recommended method takes several days of probing runs and planning to determine the active runs where the worms should be placed.

Hope this helps!

This is the package marketed to homeowners: http://www.gemplers.com/item/134528.html

This is the "professional" package: http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=080082

4. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, thanks for the info. I guess I will have to be patient.

5. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I was to once by an old farmer to put human hair in the hole

6. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

make sure you put the worms in the right tunnel, they will not work if put in "feeder" runs,

7. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Heard that Castor Oil and water mixed together, 10 parts water to 1 part oil, sprayed on the yard helps. Or put some Castor Oil in the hole/run. They get it on there feet and pick up dirt that way. Their fur sheds dirt so getting dirt on them aggravates them. The spraying all depends on your area now whether it will soak into the ground.
    VO

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I just wish they would get the message and go back to the woods where they belong. Getting rid of them is a big problem and they are destructive little creatures. And if grubbs were the problem you would be seeing alot of dead grass around the yard.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Mole Crickets?

10. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

Here's an inexpensive recipe for getting rid of moles.

1 tablespoon caster oil
    2 tablespoons liquid dish soap (Palmolive)
    6 tablespoons water

mix the oil and soap until consistency of shaving cream. Add the water and mix again. Mix 2 tablespoons of mole mix with 2 gallons of water. Sprinkle over yard.
    apply after rain so it soaks in good.

Good luck