Moles !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to rid your lawn of moles? I have several customers that have mole problems and they have asked me to get rid of them. I said sure as soon as I figure out how to do it.
    Please HELP guy's/ gal's. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. HATE the varmits, they make a heck of a mess to a lawn.
    Thanks for your help.
    Mowman

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

3. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

turf mag had something advertised this month for moles

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

trapping is the only remedy!!

check this guy out, an authority!!

The mole man

5. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Remove there food source!

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is so funny that you asked a question like this because just today I was at my landscaping dealer picking up my fertilizer & crabgrass control and I saw something for moles on the shelf....its like a white calk that looks like grubs for the moles. The mole then eats it and is poisoned by this stuff. Pretty neat-o

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

get rid of the grubs and then you will get rid of the moles

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The connection between grubs and moles is an old wives tale. Yes, moles and many other animals like grubs (even some human cultures, LOL - they must taste good!), but how does the mole survive when there are no grubs?????

Don't repeat this story until you have trapped and examined the stomach contents of a few dozen moles, at different times of year. And then you wouldn't repeat the story because you'd know the main part of a mole's diet is earthworms.

For mole control, start at: http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-10.pdf

9. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

I completely agree that moles are not necessarily a sign of grubs. A few years ago I completed a lawn installation after a swimming pool had been installed. The soil had been trucked in and there were no grubs, earthworms, debris, or anything else in it. After moving nearly 50 yds of soil and finish grading I laid sod (no grubs). Within two days there were mole runs under the new sod (effortless digging).

Moles make me feel like Carl from Caddyshack. I have tried using traps, and was tempted to use Kaput (mole gel bait) that I saw at a trade show, but found the most effective method (for me) was to be around when they are moving and terminate with extreme prejudice. Skewering with a pitchfork works well, but so does 9mm FMJ (overkill, but effective). The biggest problems other than the obvious ones are who has the time to wait out a mole? Seems kind of sick, if you really think about it. Alas, they cannot be allowed to go unchecked in my turf.

Does anyone have any experience with Kaput brand mole gel bait?