Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tbrom, Jul 19, 2007.

1. tbrom

tbrom LawnSite Member
    from 77833

Does anyone out there know of a product or device that will eliminate moles?They are literally taking over my yard and I need something that works without wasting a whole lot of money. Thanks!
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Talprid! its about the only thing out there that actually works
  3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ditto on the Talprid--It does work...Follow direction and use rubber gloves. I've found that just a little water on your gloves will bring out the small of the Talprid and seems to act quicker. May/maybe not. Won't hurt.
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Will bring out the small? What does that mean?

Started using Talparid last year and love it. It has been a great addtion to my business. I have performed about 50 mole jobs since spring and I offer a 100% guarantee to the customer (only had 1 call back) which makes the sale.

It takes three trips: 1, Look at property and make assessment holes (can't make too many), 2 bait plugged holes, 3 Follow up to see if the bait was taken.

You may want to make sure you get good at it before you make a guarantee, but you will just get better with each job. They are all different and I actually enjoy the mole business more then any other service I offer.

Call Bell Labs and they will send you a CD and literature on how to use the product.

Financial Advice: Don't buy it from Lesco or any other store $$$$$$$. Go to

I save almost $30.00/case and they have free shipping!
  5. PBinWA

PBinWA LawnSite Member

I found the advice on to be pretty good.

Every year I go on a trapping binge and kill 8-10 of them and then I'm good for a year.

Be careful with the baits if you have pets. My dumb dog dug one of those worms up and suffered for a few days afterwards. I was lucky he is a big dog and seemed to pull through.
  6. creative lawns

creative lawns LawnSite Member

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Actually a moles diet consists of about 80% earth worms as the rest of thier diet consists of grubs and other insects. Attached below is a pretty informative piece.

You can get rid of every grub in your lawn and still have moles!

That is why the Talparid bait looks exactly, fells like and gives off the same odor as an earthworm.

Getting rid of grubs is just a good upsell for grub control in my opinion. The only way to get rid of to get rid of the mole
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly....The grub/mole thing is one of the most common misconceptions there is.
  9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Triazicide doesn't control grubs. As already stated, the grub/mole thing dates back to the days of chlordane which controlled grubs, earthworms & a raft of other beneficials. Sure...moles would go away. They had no choice.

Use the Talpirid. It's awesome.
  10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have one customer that has me apply Merit, then in the fall apply Dylox and moles are still tearing up his lawn. I have set traps for him and got a few moles in the past, but more just move in. Cant get him to spend the $$ for Talprid since he has been fighting these things for years and anything that he has tried in the past hasn't worked.
    We have a local radio/newspaper lawn "expert" that has always tells everyone if you get rid of the grubs the moles will go too! I don't mind the extra business but I always explain that it not exactly true!