1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by steveair, Oct 16, 2001.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

was a little slow last week so I decided to take a week and go help my friend do a irrigation install.

We had to go under a 30 foot road with a 30 ft sleeve, so he had some company reps come in from Vermeer with a air powered mole.

It looked like a neat idea....its a 4 foot by 3 inch 'rod' that you hook to a compressor and it 'hammers' itself under the road to the other side.

No luck though. I just can't see the things working too well around here with all the rock and garbage that ends up in the fill.

We ended up using his lm42 trencher to dig a trench across the road.....what a site that was....the ashault was about 10 inches thick....what a racket. Glad it wasn't my machine.

Wondering if anyone else has experience with these. They look like a good idea if you 'have' to go under a road, but it sure is a lot of work, and a lot of money, just to get one to go across.

2. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

I used one of those units a few years ago to go about 40 feet into a garage. A buddy of mine brought the one that he uses daily for replacing TV cable. He is a pro, it came out dead centre of the recieving pit that was no more than 24" X 24" X 18". It was less than 20 minutes from the time he took the torpedo out of the truck until he had it put back in there.
  3. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

How different is that from a direcional drilling machine? I assume non-directional?

Btw, what is your typical way of getting under a road or obstruction?